Meat Bird Laying Eggs?

First to hatch, 2nd batch - 5/27/10 (Hovabator w/ autoturner)

56993_peep.jpg

56993_peep1.jpg

This one needed a bit of help.... I try to remember "hands off" as much as possible.
56993_peep3.jpg

She survived just fine...

wolfpak - In the bator are my 3rd generation CX X's designed to be HEALTHY, free ranging, self sustaining, fast growing meat birds. They are for recording pics and stats for the eggs/chicks I will be selling in spring.

Katy,
Very interesting research project! Was contemplating same, and simply threw a few of the "big bird" eggs in the bator we'd ordered, as an initial stab at what what would emerge as a result.

I'd like to have my own, self-laid-hatched-raised flock, both for meat and eggs. We have plenty of space, and are kinda bird crazy.

So neat to have your own breeding program in the works. We're here in the rural midwest, and I'm dedicated to humanely raised food sources. No problem with the food chain! Just take exception to the Ag-Business-Machine model of commercial food production. Hey, why would ANYONE want to eat that garbage they pump out. Ugh!

Plus we're kinda critter crazy....

Kudos to you for your business model and breeding program. Wish you much success. I'd be at your doorstep and a best customer if we weren't 10 states away!
Very fascinating!

What do ou guess suggest crossing the Cornish Xs with? Im trying to breed my Barred Rocks and Cornish Xs, anyone ever tryed these two breeds crossed.
Any info will help.

Thanks,
RIrs

there is a lot of reading through out the meat bird thread on what others are crossing with CX's.
I think a big barred rock roo would be to hard on a huge CX hen, but BR hens under a CX roos sounds great.

my crosses have; CX, white rock, white cornish, red cornish, & BCM it has been A LOT of work and time. The breeds that I tried and then didn't like the X offspring were Lt Brhama and Buckeye.

Others are using those breeds though with happy results.

Katy - We've got both BR roos & CX roos. A number of the chicks we hatched are red sex-link hens bred to the BR roos. They are the largest chicks overall, thus far. Some of my hens are RIR, NH, and IsaBrowns. These birds are larger and plumper than the scrawny RSL hens. I'm assuming the bigger chicks are offspring from these birds...

What you're doing gives me the idea to try breeding my larger [BR X Egg Hens] back to the CRX roos, then see what comes of it. Excellent idea.

My "best" hen is a Delaware. Several of her offspring are nice & large also. They might also be good candidates to X w/ the CX roos.

I've thought about ordering a batch of 25 to 50 & putting them in a tractor till they're done. There are several available that are a bit hardier than the CXs. Have you tried this? If so, what breeds do you like, besides CX?

BTW, we had the same hatch rates with fresh vs. 3 wk refrigerated eggs from the hovabator batches.

Best success with your program!
Thanks for keeping us posted

Last edited:
Im in for a pre order kATY early Spring March:) ???? cant wait to see pictures and stats!!! oooh what color will they be?

Idaho Red Rangers - are red
Idaho Mountain Rangers - are white with an occasional black feather

the colored feathers on both have white shafts so no ugly black pin feathers.

I will let you know as soon as I have my NPIP, I was going to wait another year but the rquests have been overwhelming so it looks like I am going to do it this fall. Even if I get it right away I may only ship eggs out of state next year.

Quote:
I am all for "using what you have" to me that is the truest form of sustainable. It may take a little longer, but truley investing yourself in a project usually does. And when you are done you have something that is uniquely yours and maybe even spectacular!

Katy - Thanks again... yes independance and sustainability! You're right on there. I always love creating something from what's available around me. Learning to repurpose and becoming resourceful are important skills to develop. Creative energy outlets make our lives much more worthwhile!

We've already developed our own naturally bred, born, raised grass fed cattle process for beef we raise ourselves. Chickens are sooo much quicker! I'd love to breed our own meatbird flock and develop a process to achive that goal. Sounds like you are very close to that point yourself! Most excellent.

Yes, its a great feeling of accomplishment to create a process (and a lifestyle to boot), increasing self reliance and sufficiency. This has become important to overall life satisfaction to me. Definitely an excellent antidote to the rat-race of modern existence. Doing this alone is a rather spectacular achievement in and of itself!

Back
Top Bottom