Meat bird or leghorn chick???

jjb1953

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2013
hi all. I have two week old chicks. I ordered one leghorn. It is significantly larger than the rest of the chicks. It often seems winded (out of breath) and is not as active as the rest.
I looked at pics of both, but still cannot tell.
I will submit pictures later.

Are leghorn chicks typically larger than other breeds? The rest are Rhode Island reds, arucana, Wyandotte and comets.

Thanks

It does sound like you have a Cornish X meat bird from what you say. They aren't very active, and literally live to eat, and they will definitely outgrow other chicks. When you get the picture posted I'll be able to tell for sure.

Leghorn next to standard pullets (all one week old). Very rapid feathering plus notably smaller body/head.
IMG_20170301_114647069.jpg

It's the larger one

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 21
If you look at the one where she is not standing while eating ... That is her normal. She is not nearly as active as the rest.

That definitely isn't a Leghorn. It's a Cornish X.
Should I let the farm store know? Or is it one of those things there is a chance you may not get what you order? We have no desire for a meat bird (we get attached to our chickens). She is here and can stay but I was just talking about meat birds with friends and they said they will just eat themselves to death. Is this the case? Will it not survive long or do well with the others?

That stinks. I'd definitely complain.

There are people who try to keep them as pets but I'm pretty sure you'd need to restrict feed for it to survive. And even then, the chances of a quality life aren't great. If you can't bring yourself to process, I'd let someone else have it for their dinner table.

Thanks everyone. I'd easily give it to someone who does meat birds but it is of course the one my daughter has taken to her the most ... She was hoping it is as big as it is because it's a rooster.

We will have to think it over I suppose. We do a lot of science here ... Maybe I will contact the U biologist associated with 4h and see if we can manipulate the meat bird tendencies out of her.

Back
Top Bottom