Meat bird questions

Will they survive to 9 weeks?

• Total voters
can I ask what you mean by OP? Not trying to start nothing, but if you’re being rude bout me saying something, then why’s there a need to comment on my post? Anyways, I say most people don’t raise in the winter is grass feed and I didn’t want to have the majority of the folks on my butt in here for raising in the winter, as far as I am concerned I’m fine with raising in the winter, I let them out on sunny warm days and they fertilize my yard and pasture, sorry if you wasn’t being rude, but I was just asking a question that’s a simple answer...

OP means original poster, the person that started the thread.

Your chickens will be fine. I've had CX make it to 2 years old
OP means Opening Poster and is common forum lingo
Everyone raises their chickens at different times of the year and different climates. Most of us feed chicken feed even if we can grass feed. Nobody's going to mind someone raising chickens in winter.

Cornish are pretty cold-tolerant, as long as they have good shelter. So that shouldn’t be too much of a concern. As far as them gaining weight and having heart failure, I agree with @iwltfum about restricting feed. Your bird weights sound healthy and normal; as long as you’re not seeing signs of poor health they should be fine til Saturday. It sounds like you know what to do. My Thanksgiving batch were huge chickosauruses at 8 weeks and still did fine— but in no snow.

Cornish are pretty cold-tolerant, as long as they have good shelter. So that shouldn’t be too much of a concern. As far as them gaining weight and having heart failure, I agree with @iwltfum about restricting feed. Your bird weights sound healthy and normal; as long as you’re not seeing signs of poor health they should be fine til Saturday. It sounds like you know what to do. My Thanksgiving batch were huge chickosauruses at 8 weeks and still did fine— but in no snow.
Well that’s great to hear! Mine biggest rooster is 9 lbs right now, smallest chicken being 5, they go to freezer camp Saturday at 10!

Nobody is being rude to you or making fun of you. Calm down child, don't automatically assume everyone is picking on you.

To answer the question you asked.

OP - Stands for Original Poster, ie the person who started a topic or thread.

Good luck with your chickens.

Aaron

Before I start yes I guess it’s too late in the year for raising meat birds
Depends on where you live....and how you house them.
How do you house them?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Carsonshoup03
1610578884418.png

I've successfully raised CornishX to 30 weeks, and 13.8# live weight. I have a CornishX hen who joined my flock at inception, so 9 months of age today, regular layer, likely mother of a couple of my recent hatchings, and unknown weight - but she's not small.

As you can see from my location at left, I raised her in a hot and humid climate thru the heat of summer with no issues, though she doesn't free choice food. Free range in the AM and mid day, I feed the flock once as I lock up the pen each evening to ensure they go to bed with full crops.

So no, age alone and breed alone are no reasons to expect your bird will suddenly fall over dead in the coming week, though I do wonder at your high losses so far. Suspect something other than simple genetics may be playing a role in that.

can I ask what you mean by OP? Not trying to start nothing, but if you’re being rude bout me saying something, then why’s there a need to comment on my post? Anyways, I say most people don’t raise in the winter is grass feed and I didn’t want to have the majority of the folks on my butt in here for raising in the winter, as far as I am concerned I’m fine with raising in the winter, I let them out on sunny warm days and they fertilize my yard and pasture, sorry if you wasn’t being rude, but I was just asking a question that’s a simple answer...
"OP" means original poster.

Cooler temps this time of year will probably work in your favor if you have to delay butchering. Most meat birds will handle cold better than hot, and without the heat stress there is less chance of them going belly up on you. Plus, nothing is worse than butchering when its 90 degrees. Yuck!

Back
Top Bottom