Meat birds- purchased as eggs?

my thoughts exactly
Oh no, it's not anything against chicks per se. I just did not like having the brooder in the house(my craft room to be certain) and we don't have anywhere else to put the brooder. After having a broody raise chicks we've just decided that was a much better way for us. I am researching about placing chicks under a broody since this seems to be a viable option.

I am researching about placing chicks under a broody since this seems to be a viable option.
Problems are:
Will the broody go broody when you need her to, if at all?
Then can you get day old chicks after she's been broody for a couple weeks?
Then there's always the chance that she won't accept the chicks.
A lot of timing involved...and you know, we make plans and the chickens laugh. :gig

Problems are:
Will the broody go broody when you need her to, if at all?
Then can you get day old chicks after she's been broody for a couple weeks?
Then there's always the chance that she won't accept the chicks.
A lot of timing involved...and you know, we make plans and the chickens laugh. :gig
Chickens be chickens. When I most need a broody, I never seem to have one. And when my coop is full and I think I'm done hatching for the year, 2 hens decide to go broody.

That being said -- and to the OP's comment -- I've had very good luck with fostering chicks under hens who have been broody for over two weeks. Although there is a chance of rejection, there is also a chance that a hen might reject her own hatchlings. As long as you are prepared with a back-up brooder, I thinks it's well worth the risk.

We are fully aware that pretty much all the stars need to align for either a broody hatching or adopting chicks but we would like to be fully informed and prepared just in case it actually does:fl

Back
Top Bottom