1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meat Chicken cross Egg layer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dixygirl, Jun 20, 2008.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Has anyone succeeded at crossing their Cornish Crosses with something like Austalops or other good egg layer to create a longer living, good all around variety?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Why? They don't breed true to type. you won't hatch a chicken with the same characteristics of the parent.

They are a cross of a white cornish roo and a white rock hen. They have been cultivated for decades so that when they mate the hens by the roos the eggs produce the chicks you are growing out for meat.

There are alot of other meat type birds you could invest your time and money and effort in and get better results.

Ask greyfeilds about his grey broilers he is developing.

3. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

We bred our Cornish Rooster to a black star hen that laid huge eggs. We also bred him to a RIR hen. The result is UGLY!! They look like a turken with huge feet! Well at least on their neck they look like a turken. I'll try and get pictures of them in the morning. They are also not calm like the cornish but mean buggers. Our Lt Brahma is almost as big as our Cornish guy I would suggest a large bred that lays good and forget the crossings. But hey it is a free world do as you like. I'll post the pictures as soon as I take them. [​IMG]

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:Are you refering to a true Cornish or a Cornish X?

5. Promiselandfarm

Cornish cross... Sorry it took me so long I have not been feeling well ... Here is pictures of both the Rooster and his ugly young ones[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Promiselandfarm

They look like turkens or part turkens but we do not have any of those on our farm. Our Rooster has little to no tail feathers to inclued the underside of him..

7. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    well there is one good side is that when you go to pluck them for eating there isnt as many feathers...

8. Promiselandfarm

Maybe I have started my own naked breed....The almost Naked Meany

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I was hoping to cross up a few different breeds to find a nice meaty bird I could raise up without having to buy the Cornish X every year. I was hoping to keep a few pullets that hatch out and put all the roos in the freezer but I am still researching breeds that cross well for meat and really good eggs.
    I have some Jersey Giant pullets that I may cross up with my Welsummer roo but thought that may take too long to grow into a nice meat bird. Although we do free range ours and feed isn't much of a factor. I would just prefer roasters to fryers!
    Any ideas are welcome!

10. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Sorry, but those are uglier than a turken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by