Meat Chicken cross Egg layer

dixygirl

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
Has anyone succeeded at crossing their Cornish Crosses with something like Austalops or other good egg layer to create a longer living, good all around variety?

Why? They don't breed true to type. you won't hatch a chicken with the same characteristics of the parent.

They are a cross of a white cornish roo and a white rock hen. They have been cultivated for decades so that when they mate the hens by the roos the eggs produce the chicks you are growing out for meat.

There are alot of other meat type birds you could invest your time and money and effort in and get better results.

Ask greyfeilds about his grey broilers he is developing.

We bred our Cornish Rooster to a black star hen that laid huge eggs. We also bred him to a RIR hen. The result is UGLY!! They look like a turken with huge feet! Well at least on their neck they look like a turken. I'll try and get pictures of them in the morning. They are also not calm like the cornish but mean buggers. Our Lt Brahma is almost as big as our Cornish guy I would suggest a large bred that lays good and forget the crossings. But hey it is a free world do as you like. I'll post the pictures as soon as I take them.
cool.png

I was hoping to cross up a few different breeds to find a nice meaty bird I could raise up without having to buy the Cornish X every year. I was hoping to keep a few pullets that hatch out and put all the roos in the freezer but I am still researching breeds that cross well for meat and really good eggs.
I have some Jersey Giant pullets that I may cross up with my Welsummer roo but thought that may take too long to grow into a nice meat bird. Although we do free range ours and feed isn't much of a factor. I would just prefer roasters to fryers!
Any ideas are welcome!

Back
Top Bottom