Meat chickens in the winter?

Wow šŸ˜±
$5 here from a farmer... sometimes $3.50 if you pick it up in the field.
Not sure what it costs at a feed store.
That is why I try to get it to last all month! Not grown much here. It is like water, in a dry form!
I could get hay, local for $15.00/bale. I have used grass hay, but it is too hot for the coop all the time. Great in the nest boxes, until they ate it all!

Compressed bales $12-14 at the feed store. Sorry that I know. Have no way to transport or store a round, few of my neighbors make bales, and I've been waiting for it to come in - feed prices being what they are, people are holding hay close. I only need straw, but hay is what's being harvested...

So I only use it for nesting boxes. Leaf litter everywhere else.
Yes rounds are cheaper per lb but I don't have anyway to deal with them either.
Actually I usually post in local FB pages for pumpkins and bales around Halloween. People are getting rid of them for free, some drop them off. The decorative bales are usually a quarter of the size of a farm bale and sometimes wet. Wet ones go to the garden. People think they are hay bales, but so far they all are straw.

That is why I try to get it to last all month! Not grown much here. It is like water, in a dry form!
I could get hay, local for $15.00/bale. I have used grass hay, but it is too hot for the coop all the time. Great in the nest boxes, until they ate it all!
Sometimes straw is more expensive than hay around here...more hay grown than wheat or oats around here.

Yes rounds are cheaper per lb but I don't have anyway to deal with them either.
Actually I usually post in local FB pages for pumpkins and bales around Halloween. People are getting rid of them for free, some drop them off. The decorative bales are usually a quarter of the size of a farm bale and sometimes wet. Wet ones go to the garden. People think they are hay bales, but so far they all are straw.
Great idea, thanks!

well, now you guys have lead me on a new fact finding adventure on how to best use all my coop waste as compost!! I thought chicken poop took a long time to compost, although I have heard that it is like gold for gardening... Leaves are in a huge abundance here for me in Maine, I am surrounded by acres of woods... So maybe I will look into using these... Just have to find a way to store them and keep them dry in wet seasons.
If you raise broilers up on wire in a cage, the poop will be very hot. The used bedding from the layers has been composting in their coop for a while, and they mixed it with the bedding, so it is not as hot. I still age it a year in a pile before putting it on the garden. You can afford to sell your other items for less if you have great tomatoes, eggs bring people in, tomatoes make your profit. Our local Farmer's Market sells a tiny pint strawberry basket of cherry tomatoes for $5.00, tourists pay it happily, eat them all even before they leave the market.

Great idea, thanks!
One year I got over 100 pumpkins, some were moldy and went to compost. I took everything because I wanted to get next years too. Chickens don't like gourds, even the seeds, so they go in the compost too
I usually get a dz small bales, one year I got a farm large square that weighed about 300 lbs dry... that was a challenge to get in my pickup by myself LOL.... regular farm square weights 60-80 lbs

One year I got over 100 pumpkins, some were moldy and went to compost. I took everything because I wanted to get next years too. Chickens don't like gourds, even the seeds, so they go in the compost too
I usually get a dz small bales, one year I got a farm large square that weighed about 300 lbs dry... that was a challenge to get in my pickup by myself LOL.... regular farm square weights 60-80 lbs
300 pounds! That would be a no go here! I put a regular bale from the feed store on my hitch rack, it is low to the ground and the store guy puts it in, I drive it to where I want it and unload it. Usually under the carport on a pallet, to try to keep it dry. If it gets wet, I give it to the ducks before it gets moldy. They love fresh straw!

300 pounds! That would be a no go here! I put a regular bale from the feed store on my hitch rack, it is low to the ground and the store guy puts it in, I drive it to where I want it and unload it. Usually under the carport on a pallet, to try to keep it dry. If it gets wet, I give it to the ducks before it gets moldy. They love fresh straw!
Yeah after I got it in, my back told me not again lol....it was fine sliding it off the truck. But then it was too difficult to move to shelter. Glad I never seen another

Yeah after I got it in, my back told me not again lol....it was fine sliding it off the truck. But then it was too difficult to move to shelter. Glad I never seen another
I can drive to where I want to store it, then I break off a flake and wheel barrow or bag it to take it to the birds. It makes a mess, I put an Ikea bag over it to keep it dry!

That's a clever way to source materials.

Back
Top Bottom