MEAT CHICKENS

I picked up a number of Cornish cross chickens with the idea that I will collect their eggs and hatch new ones... so far after 5 months, no eggs. I have had to restrict their food but they appear to be doing well. Any thoughts on raising meat birds for reproduction? They are now about the size of small turkeys.

Gary

I picked up a number of Cornish cross chickens with the idea that I will collect their eggs and hatch new ones... so far after 5 months, no eggs. I have had to restrict their food but they appear to be doing well. Any thoughts on raising meat birds for reproduction? They are now about the size of small turkeys.

Gary

Cornish cross are a poor choice for trying to breed. In addition to short life spans and a poor lay rate, because they are hybrids, they will not breed true and the offspring will not be the fantastic meat birds that the first generation Cornish cross parents are. In my personal opinion, the best thing you can do with your Cornish cross at this point is to go ahead and butcher them. The meat will not be as tender as it would have been at 8 weeks, but they will still make good chicken pot pie, chicken noodle soup, etc. If you really want to raise Cornish cross (instead of buying them as chicks), you will need to purchase a standard Cornish rooster or two and some White Plymouth Rock hens. The offspring will be Cornish cross.

So that is how it is done...
Thank you very much... Will look into getting the breeds that you suggest...

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom