Meat Ducks & Chickens For Xmas in Washington??

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by TerrasCritters, Nov 9, 2007.

1. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    I have some people asking me for some birds for xmas dinner, but umm I cant sell my own birds for that, without raising them up for that.
    So Silkiechicken? Anyone in WA with some meat ducks and chickens available? Prices?

Thanks

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I wish I had meat birds for this time of year. But hey, there is time to raise them up for x mas if you get fast cornish. I don't really have time for that type of operation right now though... or do I? [​IMG]

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Truthfully, I would have to become a vegetarian if I had to eat the little guys and gals clucking around in my yard! There is no way in heck I could do that, even if it were a rabbit, chicken, cow, goat, pig, duck..........tofu and sprouts would start looking really good to me!

4. silkiechicken

I just thought of something... but I don't think it would do well with the expectations of the "American" meat market or fit your needs well enough. I have 6 or so fryers that are "on the table" for one of my Asian customers, but he doesn't want all of them. I sell the white and yellow skinned birds for $2 a lb. It's similar to what you get when you go to a Chinese restaurant and order "free range chicken. "

Don't think it would fit your needs though but it's an option if you want.

Scrabled Egg: Don't worry, that's normal when you raise them for pets. I have two flocks myself, the untouchables which consist of all the layers and my main roo, and the ones I raise for strictly meat.

5. TerrasCritters

Oct 24, 2007
    I dont plan on raising any, they just wanted to buy some from me, I raised mine as pets not food so I cant knowingly sell mine for that [​IMG]
    But if you have some extras, I could probably take them off your hands, when do you cull them, so I know when to get it done.
    Can you tell me the exact info on them what they will dress out at etc.
    I am not sure they will want me to go through the work of getting to Everett to get them.
    They are Vietnamese a HUGE family but, whatever lol

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Thought I butt in lol...I was at FredMeyers today and saw that duck was 32.00 a bird. I didnt know they were that expensive. [​IMG] Your ducks are so cute Terra. I would have a hard time butchering them too.

7. silkiechicken

Oh man, about store birds. I saw a safeway SALE on "free range birds" and it was 7.99 a LB!!!! [​IMG]

8. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    When I was at the poultry show, they had some huge ducks for $10 a piece. My dh has been dying for duck, but I just couldnt stand the thought of the poor dears coming home to be on the dinner table. I guess I would be ok with it if I knew they were NOT raised as pets, but I could never raise them and do it, nor could I do it to someone else's if they were pet birds. I asked him bout it, but he didnt pay attention and now he is telling me darnit, I should have BOUGHT them, he wasnt paying attention to what I said, blah blah blah. I wonder how much attention he pays to ANYTHING I say!
    hmmmmppphh!

9. silkiechicken

Haha, yeah, if you raise meat, you have to do it separate. Look at dinner differently than your layers since you can't get attached to a bunch of boys and have nowhere for them to go.

10. TerrasCritters

Oct 24, 2007
    DONT tell me that thndrdancr ROFL
    We are going to a show soon Christina will KILL me for filling her little car up with meat birds. HAHA!

Bad enough I will have a bunch in there already, I never even asked if it was ok, what a good friend I am. [​IMG] Yikes [​IMG] Love ya! hehe

Anyway thanks for the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by