Meat health of processed bird

LadieKluck

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
I just processed my first two birds. More out of necessity than planned but it has been a good learning experience for the future. The second bird had some dark spots throughout the process so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are and other things to look for when processing a bird?
The lungs had some dark marks that the first bird did not have. Also some greenish grey markings on the intestines and red along the sides when I removed the skin. Any information would be appreciated!
I want to make sure it is still healthy to keep and nothing to worry about.
0516221337.jpg
0516221336c.jpg
0516221336a.jpg
0516221336.jpg

Welcome to BYC.

I can't speak to the other things, but the red in the meat in the last photo looks like either a little blood remaining from incomplete bleeding out during the butchering. Likewise the red in the liver in the first photo.

It happens sometimes. Cosmetically unappealing, but harmless.

@U_Stormcrow you get your hands into a lot more birds than I do. Advice?

I keep this around for moments like this. Also, I seek much more uniform color in the liver, which is a key visual indicator for me. and agood bit less fat than your bird shows. That looks [DISCLOSURE - What I don't know about Poultry Illness and Injury would fill books - and does!], but that looks hemmoragic to me. Which can be dietary, or it can be the result of infection/exposure like aflatoxins. How was the consistency? Did it sort of crumble into globes/granules as you pulled the gall bladder free, or stay firm? And are those actual noddules growing out of the liver, or just bits of other things not yet cleaned off at the time of photo???

1652880091801.png

I can't explain the red markings on the meat, not something I've experienced, and I begin disrobing birds while they are still bleeding out.

That said, birds vary, and you can have individuals with dietary issues in spite of all effort. Just as your feed can become colonized by potential concerns w/o your knowledge.

In any event, i would not eat that liver, or feed any of the internals back to your flock.

Why, may we ask, did the cull become necessary?

I keep this around for moments like this. Also, I seek much more uniform color in the liver, which is a key visual indicator for me. and agood bit less fat than your bird shows. That looks [DISCLOSURE - What I don't know about Poultry Illness and Injury would fill books - and does!], but that looks hemmoragic to me. Which can be dietary, or it can be the result of infection/exposure like aflatoxins. How was the consistency? Did it sort of crumble into globes/granules as you pulled the gall bladder free, or stay firm? And are those actual noddules growing out of the liver, or just bits of other things not yet cleaned off at the time of photo???

View attachment 3113023

I can't explain the red markings on the meat, not something I've experienced, and I begin disrobing birds while they are still bleeding out.

That said, birds vary, and you can have individuals with dietary issues in spite of all effort. Just as your feed can become colonized by potential concerns w/o your knowledge.

In any event, i would not eat that liver, or feed any of the internals back to your flock.

Why, may we ask, did the cull become necessary?
Thank you both @3KillerBs and @U_Stormcrow !! I'm completely new to meat processing so every little bit helps!

I have been planning on getting some meat birds to start processing on my own for the fam since I would really like to be more self sufficient. It has been in the plan but don't really have the space at the moment.

I actually got four chicks from an acquaintance. One disappeared early on after a coop escape. The other three ended up being roosters. I typically only have layers. One of the roos started crowing constantly throughout the day. Neighbors started complaining to HOA (which I completely understand since he was annoying us as well). The acquaintance didn't have the space for all three but she took one back. I couldn't find anyone else to give them to and I didn't want to sell them online and they end up being used for fighting (sounds negative but it's a real possibility). Since I'm planning on my own meat processing set up I figured we could use them for food and it would be beneficial to start learning now so I can be a step ahead with the meat chickens.

As for your other questions... The liver stayed pretty firm. Any tearing you see is merely my struggles to get everything out. Those were not growths on the liver but chunks of the kidneys I believe that transferred when I was moving things around. Yours looked so nice and clean compared to what I did!

As for the infection/exposure...should I get rid of that one then? I'm not sure how that affects the meat on its own.

Thank you both @3KillerBs and @U_Stormcrow !! I'm completely new to meat processing so every little bit helps!

I have been planning on getting some meat birds to start processing on my own for the fam since I would really like to be more self sufficient. It has been in the plan but don't really have the space at the moment.

I actually got four chicks from an acquaintance. One disappeared early on after a coop escape. The other three ended up being roosters. I typically only have layers. One of the roos started crowing constantly throughout the day. Neighbors started complaining to HOA (which I completely understand since he was annoying us as well). The acquaintance didn't have the space for all three but she took one back. I couldn't find anyone else to give them to and I didn't want to sell them online and they end up being used for fighting (sounds negative but it's a real possibility). Since I'm planning on my own meat processing set up I figured we could use them for food and it would be beneficial to start learning now so I can be a step ahead with the meat chickens.

As for your other questions... The liver stayed pretty firm. Any tearing you see is merely my struggles to get everything out. Those were not growths on the liver but chunks of the kidneys I believe that transferred when I was moving things around. Yours looked so nice and clean compared to what I did!

As for the infection/exposure...should I get rid of that one then? I'm not sure how that affects the meat on its own.

Have you looked at my signature? "Finding Success by Learning from Failure"

WELCOME to the journey. I would eat the bird, I would dispose of the liver. Firmness is a good sign, in spite of the color and hemmorhaging. Particularly as those are just bits from something else. And since they weren't your birds to start, no judgement on the fat content...

OK, I am judging but I am NOT assigning blame.

Meat birds are a funny thing. NOTHING compares to the CX, but many of us who don't want supermarket birds won't raise and mass butcher them, meaning our "meat" birds are really heavy layers or "meaty" near layers (colored broilers, rangers, etc) - or we have a project going. Its also the case because "self sufficiency" means hatching your own (something that can't practically be done with CX) and a routine of constant culling of a small number of birds, rather than the more CX typical mass cull and freeze.

There are innumerable threads about how to best prepare an old bird (more than 12 weeks) for the table - low, slow, and moist methods work best. Fring and even baking are not in the cards. @3KillerBs and I are active in those threads too, its part of the lifestyle.

and finally, since I'm starting to develop a reputation as something of an expert (undeserved, though more informed than many, maybe most on BYC), what ARE you feeding those birds?

I couldn't find anyone else to give them to and I didn't want to sell them online and they end up being used for fighting (sounds negative but it's a real possibility). Since I'm planning on my own meat processing set up I figured we could use them for food and it would be beneficial to start learning now so I can be a step ahead with the meat chickens.

Yes, there's a learning curve so staring with a few cockerels in the annoying stage is good.

I figure that if I can't sell them as possible breeders/lawn ornaments I may as well eat them myself as give them to a stranger online.

Have you looked at my signature? "Finding Success by Learning from Failure"

WELCOME to the journey. I would eat the bird, I would dispose of the liver. Firmness is a good sign, in spite of the color and hemmorhaging. Particularly as those are just bits from something else. And since they weren't your birds to start, no judgement on the fat content...

OK, I am judging but I am NOT assigning blame.

Meat birds are a funny thing. NOTHING compares to the CX, but many of us who don't want supermarket birds won't raise and mass butcher them, meaning our "meat" birds are really heavy layers or "meaty" near layers (colored broilers, rangers, etc) - or we have a project going. Its also the case because "self sufficiency" means hatching your own (something that can't practically be done with CX) and a routine of constant culling of a small number of birds, rather than the more CX typical mass cull and freeze.

There are innumerable threads about how to best prepare an old bird (more than 12 weeks) for the table - low, slow, and moist methods work best. Fring and even baking are not in the cards. @3KillerBs and I are active in those threads too, its part of the lifestyle.

and finally, since I'm starting to develop a reputation as something of an expert (undeserved, though more informed than many, maybe most on BYC), what ARE you feeding those birds?
I'm glad you asked because I was thinking of questions as I read!

What does CX mean? I assume you are referring to the Cornish hens but never heard the term before so confirming...

I was curious about feed vs fat because the first was meatier with less fat. The second was thinner with more fat. They were on the same feed. At the time it more depended on what was available at the store. Either layer feed or all flock. I know they need a little more protein than the layer and don't need all the calcium but it was what I was able to get since they keep running out of feed. I've been trying to research my own feed mix but I haven't found one I like yet.

As always suggestions are welcome and appreciated! I'm always looking to learn. And judge away! How else will I learn??

I'm glad you asked because I was thinking of questions as I read!

What does CX mean? I assume you are referring to the Cornish hens but never heard the term before so confirming...

I was curious about feed vs fat because the first was meatier with less fat. The second was thinner with more fat. They were on the same feed. At the time it more depended on what was available at the store. Either layer feed or all flock. I know they need a little more protein than the layer and don't need all the calcium but it was what I was able to get since they keep running out of feed. I've been trying to research my own feed mix but I haven't found one I like yet.

As always suggestions are welcome and appreciated! I'm always looking to learn. And judge away! How else will I learn??
CX for "CornishX", the fat little butterballs purpose built for arriving on table by 8 weeks of age - as a way to distinguish quickly from heritage breeds like the "Dark Cornish".

We've all had to make do the last couple years because of shortages. I, and many (probably most) recommend an All Flock type feed for all birds all their lives, plus fresh water, free choice oyster shell, free choice grit for the typical backyard owner of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management. For our purposes, "All Flock" is Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine. In that order of preference.

Doesn't matter what the label says - All FLock, Flock Raiser, Starter, Grower, Meat Bird Maintenance... The ONLY things that matter is the guaranteed nutritional label and the mill date.

I do NOT recommend making feed at home. STRONGLY advise against. For reasons of economics, for reasons of nutrition for your birds, for reasons of quality control. Almost without exception, each homebrew feed recipe I see is so obviously imbalanced (and usually deficient) that I wonder [impolite things] about the posting person. Seems like almost daily I'm raining all over the parade of someone who saw a youtube video and suddenly think they are announcing some great discovery to us here at BYC.

as to why one bird was fatty, and one was not? I can only speculate.
Different breeds. Different genders. Different feeds in the first 8 weeks or so of development. Higher or lower in the pecking order with whole grain feed. (more dominant birds will preferntially select high protein/high fat sources, like BOSS, while leaving lower value ingredients like corn and Indian millet to more submissive birds).

I just butchered two birds, one in perfect health (a male) with just the right amount of fat, and a hen who was borderline obese - from the same flock, and the same pasture, and the same feed. Genetically, both were mutts - though obvious differences in parentage. The big difference??? Overweight girl has been flying/flapping/scaling a 6' fence to get into my grow out pen, and gobble up my baby duck's feed. Which is more than half the reason I removed her head. Easier to cull the bird and put backstock in the freezer than to buy another $40+ in fencing and weave it up to 8' or so.

Cornish Cross
Abbreviated with C for Cornish and X for Cross.

Yes, the white chickens that grow into big round birds with a lot of meat, and get butchered around 8 weeks old.

History of name-- someone crossed a Cornish rooster (big breast) with a White Rock hen (fast early growth), and got a better meat chicken than they had ever seen before. So it was called "Cornish Cross" or "Cornish Rock." The modern hybrids no longer have much in common with purebred Cornish or Rocks, but the name stuck.

Back
Top Bottom