Meat instead of Yolk

It's very odd that the albumen was gelled...never seen that before.
The 'chunk' sure looks like a lash......or a very funky ovum or a very large piece of of tissue from somewhere in there.

I end up feeding about 18% protein when taking the scratch grains into account.
3% calcium is still kinda too much for non layers....flock raiser is like 1%.

I like to feed a flock raiser/grower/finisher 20% protein crumble full time to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

Her first egg was 10/20, then another around 10/25, then that meat thing 10/30. The albumen seemed thicker then usual. Honestly I was so shocked by what was in it l was more worried about inspecting that.

I'll have to see how things go. As long as she's not in pain I don't care if she lays eggs. They would be nice but healthy and happy is more important.

I have an EE hen whose first egg was without a shell, her second so thin it broke when I picked it up. Her third or fourth was ENORMOUS, but strangely not a double yolker. She now lays BIG eggs but they are normal. If the hen seems healthy and not bothered, just wait it out.

I have an EE hen whose first egg was without a shell, her second so thin it broke when I picked it up. Her third or fourth was ENORMOUS, but strangely not a double yolker. She now lays BIG eggs but they are normal. If the hen seems healthy and not bothered, just wait it out.
Those are all 'normal' and rather common new layer glitches....the OP's is very different.

I may have found the reason for egg related issues. One of my girls has huge wound! Bigger then a half dollar. I'm wondering if it is from the hawk attack I lost a girl to. I didn't see any obvious problems with anyone after so I thought all got clear. I happened to find it under her wing today. It looks really good. I cleaned it up and put some neosporin on it. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom