1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken gal, Nov 10, 2012.

1. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Do chcikens really like meat? It just seems really wired 'cause I've heard people that gave their chcikens meat. I think it is just so wired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. momma of a chicken lover

momma of a chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    They need protein. I have actually seen several chickens eat live frogs. Very freaky! So, yes, chickens eat meat.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chickens are omnivores. I've seen them eat mice, frogs, and small snakes. It's fun to watch them play keep away when they catch something like that. With chickens it sort of Do Lunch or Be Lunch. If it doesn't try to eat them, they're likely to try to eat it.

I sometimes see chicken feed labeled vegetarian or see chicken advertised in restaurants that they were vegetarian chickens. I consider that very weird, basically unnatural.

4. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Can they eat leftovers?

5. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    You bet, as long as they're not too salty or fatty. Ours are crazy for meat in any shape or form! Toss some of it in the pen and it's like the "Chicken 500" with them all racing around.

6. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    All right. I'll try it next time!

7. pigeonguy

pigeonguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Northwest Illinois
    I just fed mine a big ol piece of ham and they all went mine, mine, mine, mine. Thats their favorite saying.

8. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Cool. If there is any leftover turkey from thanksging I might give them a piece.

9. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    You can give them more than a piece--we throw a whole turkey (or chicken) carcass in there and it gets picked clean better than piranhas!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  10. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Cool. With lunch I normally have turkey in my sandwich. So next time I'll give 'em a piece.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by