Meatbird Crumbles Feedm for Silkies

burt4750

Chirping
Apr 14, 2020
Lexington, KY
Has anyone fed Rural King's Country Road Meatbird Crumbles Feed to their silkies? I switched from one I buy at Tractor Supply to this and my silkies have practically quit eating. I also add cracked corn and whole oats to try and entice them to eat, but no luck. They are so picky!!

I have not personally used it nor have I heard of it before. Would you mind sending the link? How old are your chickens? Changing food can sometimes cause stress in chickens, maybe that’s why they aren’t eating. Do they seem healthy other than that? What food were you using before? Would you mind sharing why you switched? Make sure they eat, you may want to switch back. I hope you find someone who has experience with this food!!

Rural King:

https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/26538

Tractor Supply:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/gamebir/game-feed?&srch=gamebir

I shop at both stores but was in a hurry one day last week so I just picked up a bag at Rural King.

It's apparent that I'm going to have to go back to getting the feed at Tractor Supply only, but it's weird that they are picky about "picking" through the feed to get at the cracked corn and oats. They definitely aren't like my other chickens.....those beasts will eat anything I throw at them without even examining it first....such hogs!!

Rural King:

https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/26538

Tractor Supply:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/gamebir/game-feed?&srch=gamebir

I shop at both stores but was in a hurry one day last week so I just picked up a bag at Rural King.

It's apparent that I'm going to have to go back to getting the feed at Tractor Supply only, but it's weird that they are picky about "picking" through the feed to get at the cracked corn and oats. They definitely aren't like my other chickens.....those beasts will eat anything I throw at them without even examining it first....such hogs!!
Thanks for the link!

my chickens have never been picky eaters... it simply depends on the personality. There is always a “leader” in every pack, if the leader doesn’t like the food, no one will. Or at least most of them won’t. Same with my chickens.

Do they seem healthy and acting normal? Maybe they are under stress but this simply sounds like picky chickens!!

They are just being picky. Anytime I give them any type of treat (tomatoes, corn cobs, etc.) they have to do a complete "inspection" before one of them will finally make the first move lol!!

Meatbird food is formulated for fast growth for birds that are intended to be harvested for eating. It is not really an appropriate choice for pet birds like silkies. Better to switch them to a layer or all flock formula. Adding things like corn to their feed just encourages them to be picky, and only sort through the feed for the " good. " stuff. You are not doing them a favor.. Better to switch to an appropriate diet, and don't give any treats until they are eating the new food well. Then, if you want to give treats, give them separately from the food.

I, too, have bought the Rural King meat bird crumbles for my silkies....twice! Both bags have literally been nothing but dust. l am going to have to go back to Tractor Supply. Also, I just read the following in a post, "Meatbird food is formulated for fast growth for birds that are intended to be harvested for eating. It is not really an appropriate choice for pet birds like silkies." I thought the whole idea is that silkies need more protein than what is offered in layer or all flock feed. Can anyone comment on this?

Also, I just read the following in a post, "Meatbird food is formulated for fast growth for birds that are intended to be harvested for eating. It is not really an appropriate choice for pet birds like silkies." I thought the whole idea is that silkies need more protein than what is offered in layer or all flock feed. Can anyone comment on this?

I admit I find it confusing myself because I thought Meatbird feed is simply like Grower which is also a good substitution for All Flock.

We're feeding 20% Grower to all of ours because it's $5 cheaper per 50lbs than All Flock. I've also been casting looks at the Meatbird in the store since it's the same price ($20 / 50#) but more reliably in stock of late.

The OP being told to feed Layer also makes no sense because Silkies lay so infrequently, all that extra calcium can't be good for them.

@U_Stormcrow if you wouldn't mind, when you have time, might you have any comment on this?

Back
Top Bottom