Meaties legs....

vkp23

Songster
10 Years
Jul 10, 2009
My house
We have some meat birds that we plan to butcher this week end. Here's the thing, two of them are seeming to have trouble walking. Now, I know they are prone to leg problems because of their size, but these birds feed was carefully monitored to ensure that wouldn't happen til we got to a point were we could do the butchering. They are not overly big at all. In fact, while they do have large breast meat, they are still the two smallest birds. I'm honestly thinking that since they are larger than our other birds(the non-broilers) and like to roost on top of the chick pen, they made their not so graceful jump to the ground the other morning and hurt themselves. I'm mostly thinking this because it happened all of a sudden. They were fine one day then hobbling around the next. My question is, would they still be safe to eat? (because we womt eat a sick chicken) Is it more likely an injury and they are still safe to eat or should I not risk them being sick and just cut my losses and just cull them? Should I wait it out for those two and see if they get better and then butcher? Opinions???
hu.gif

Last edited:
Limping around but otherwise acting fine? Perfectly acceptable to eat.

My big indicator for not eating is increased intra-abdominal fluid which is generally indicative of some sort of organ / system failure.

I think you will be just fine.

Thanks! Yeah they are other wise fine. Normal behavior, eating drinking. They act like they want to get up and move around they just seem that their legs wont let it happen so well. I went out to feed the chickens and they tried to hobble over but didn't make it far. I had to go up to them and give them food. What does it look like when they have fluid in the body? So I'll know what to look for this week end.

Last edited:
I have a meatie that is the same way. My other ones are double the size of the lame one. I was just wondering what i should do with it. Will it ever get better? It does eat and drink but is very small, moves slowly, and lays around alot. I held the bird and felt around its chest for fluid or abseses and didnt notice.

I have CX meaties, just 8 weeks. We have just left the feeder for them. The little coop barn is about 2 inches higher than the run. Noticed yesterday that one is bum, cannot stand or walk. I set her in front of the feeder on the off side and put a chick waterer in front of her. She is a tad smaller than most of the others, I 'bout wonder if I missed that for a day. The roos look super big to me, lol. much bigger than my 1.5 yr astrolorp roo. I cannot imagine going to 10 or 12 weeks with these!

Thats strange. It seems the smaller ones are more prone to the leg problems. HMMM
idunno.gif
All my broilers seem to be small in stature to begin with. They were born feb 9th and still are not that large as far as how tall and what not they are, nice breast meat but still are not overly huge. But these two with the bum legs seem to be the two smallest. Weird.
hu.gif

i've had three this week with leg problems. tonight i noticed another, and they are all smaller.

I am thinking it is the leg problems making them smaller. Could be discomfort keeping them from eating as much before we can see the leg problems.

I too have a CX that's quit walking at 3 weeks of age . It was one of three smaller from the begginning . When it first started showing signs of duress I thought it was sick , then decided it was suffering from a sore leg . I thought it had been injured by a larger one stepping on it or pushing it aside at the feeder . Now I'm beggining to see a possible trend here on the forum of the smaller CX having weak legs . I haven't seen it stand or walk for going into the third day ; eats and drinks OK but just drags itself around . I may put it down if it doesn't improve today .

My little meatie still stands and does walk but not much. Its been lame for a couple weeks now. It doesn't seem to be in pain, one of the other hens kinda sticks around with it when they are resting. I dont know what to do with it. Thinking about giving it to a friend who has some layers and just let it live over there. I dont think i would chance eating it. Wouldnt get much anyways.

Back
Top Bottom