Silkie Bantams

Quail345

Songster
May 8, 2024
Sandpoint, Idaho
Hi, I have 2 black silkie bantams, not yet mature. I have hear that they tend to be broody. Could they perhaps hatch out quail eggs (coturnix)? I tried quail eggs with a Starlight Olive Egger but she crushed them and when she found out they were crushed, she ate themšŸ˜‘. But silkies are a lot lighter, so maybe it could work? Thank you

Hi, I have 2 black silkie bantams, not yet mature. I have hear that they tend to be broody. Could they perhaps hatch out quail eggs (coturnix)? I tried quail eggs with a Starlight Olive Egger but she crushed them and when she found out they were crushed, she ate themšŸ˜‘. But silkies are a lot lighter, so maybe it could work? Thank you
Yes, silkies love to be broody.

I do not think I'd try this though as quail eggs are so much more brittle than their own eggs which are like porcelain, and when they hatch, they are so tiny and even if she never crushed one of the eggs, surely her accidentally standing on one would kill it.

Besides, I know that folks don't like to mix chickens and quail due to possible diseases that one or the other is immune to, and the other one isn't.

Perhaps think about getting an incubator?

Yes, silkies love to be broody.

I do not think I'd try this though as quail eggs are so much more brittle than their own eggs which are like porcelain, and when they hatch, they are so tiny and even if she never crushed one of the eggs, surely her accidentally standing on one would kill it.

Besides, I know that folks don't like to mix chickens and quail due to possible diseases that one or the other is immune to, and the other one isn't.

Perhaps think about getting an incubator?
I already have 2 incubators. A Brinsea Maxi 24 advance and a Little Giant. Just thought as an experiment. I have seen people do it before

Back
Top Bottom