Meaties: What age do you recommend?

Statix653

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
I have four meaties that were born on February 26, they are getting pretty big and I was wondering, when is a good time to dust off the hatchet? Is there anything I should do to prepare them for their last weeks?

Last edited:
I did mine at 7 weeks (all males). It's kind of a do what you want - if you want a smaller carcass, process younger, if you want a larger one, go older. I think most folks go between 4 and 10 weeks, depending on if they are going for cornish game hen size or huge broiler size.

If you have a scale (or can borrow one) you might want to weight them now to see how their doing. That would answer the question as to when to slaughter them.

FYI, I just checked the weight of the roasters at the local grocery store. All of them were less than 4lbs dressed (I've never really paid attention before). If using a store-bought roaster, our family needs two birds for one meal. At exactly 7 weeks old, ALL of my straight run birds are over (or at) 5lbs live weight, some nearing 7lbs.

So, short answer: I'll butcher most at 8 weeks and save some for another week or so. All of mine should be bigger than store bought birds, with some being considerably larger.

Keep in mind that the longer they are alive the higher your costs per lb and the lower your feed conversion rates. The CornishX is often mentioned as having a 2:1 feed-to-meat conversion ratio, but that is only true when butchered as early as possible.

By way of comparison of price per lb, most chicken in the store was going for 98cents to $1.29 per lb, and for pricey cuts (boneless breast) it was as high as $5.19/lb (at a local small town grocery, which would be higher anyway).

Quote:
Chicken hasn't been near $1.29lb here in a while. I wish it was that cheap.

^ Ditto. Chicken here is up to $1.75xlbs. We can only afford to stock up when we can get the bags of legs 10lbs for $7 from a local Spanish market, but it went up to $8.50 last week
sad.png

Dont even mention pork or beef. I miss pork soo much. If I had room, I would be raising meaties chicks, pot bellies and goats.
Hmm wonder if I put halloween snouts on my chickies they might taste more like piggies? On second thought, do not want to try milking a chicken.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom