Meaties with Sinus Infection, safe to eat?

Top them off with higher protein finishing feed. That might help them build some breast meat.

Free ranging can make them a bit gangly, which is why the industry cages birds for the soft, tender meat. Not great for the birds (nor other aspects of the meat), but does make them plump.

LofMc

Top them off with higher protein finishing feed. That might help them build some breast meat.

Free ranging can make them a bit gangly, which is why the industry cages birds for the soft, tender meat. Not great for the birds (nor other aspects of the meat), but does make them plump.

LofMc

Thanks for this idea! I was thinking that as well. I have turkey/game bird feed that is 28%, and I have been giving that to them this past week. Because they free range, I figure they probably won't get too much protein.

This is my first time raising meaties, and I think I will try confining them next time, just to have more control over their feed.

Just wanted to give an update. All of the bird were still healthy and looking good and fat, so we went ahead and butchered.

I am so thankful, I had a friend and his Dad (both from the Ukraine) come over and help. It was such a wonderful experience because they had done this plenty of times, so they knew exactly what to do and it went very quickly.

They were just about 12 weeks, so they were very big. Both of my guests couldn't get over how big they were. These guys were free ranged too! Average weight was about 5 lbs. per carcass. They looked very healthy, except for the fatty liver, which is a good thing. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom