Medi feed and eggs

aws

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 22, 2009
Hi, I have 10 RIR the just started laying at 18 weeks at least a few have. My question is when can you eat the eggs. The person at our feed store says not to eat the eggs for a month after starting laying pellets, because of the meds in the chick grow feed. Others say that they are good to eat from day one, others still say give a week or two on the laying pellets before eating.
Can some one help.... our eggs are weighting in at 20 oz. a doz and we have 4 doz that I hate to just dump. Some one said I can cook them and feed them to the chickens. If we can not eat them because of the meds why would I want to feed the back to the chickens. Any help would be great.
Blessings
Annie & James Texas

Taking advice from some of these feed store folks is always an interesting trip down confusion lane.

Most, most chick feed is merely touched with amprolium, which has no withdrawal period. Check the label of your feed sack and consult the manufacturer's website. Most will respond to email questions if the info is not in the FAQs already.

Thanks, you are right some of the things I read is very confusing. So many different stories. Wow. How many chickens do you have?
Blessings
Annie

Back
Top Bottom