Medical PA playing Chicken Vet... please help.

Just wanted to update you all. She has now been on Amoxicillin 250mg PO QD for 3 days. Her overall appearance has improved (disregard the disheveled look, she had just gotten a bath) and her appetite is HUGE. Feeding her Layena, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, some seeds, berries, and fresh veggies, plus Vitamin E liquid. She devours all of it. She has vitamin/electrolyte water free choice. HOWEVER...

She still isn't walking. It has to be neurological and I'm not sure if she'll ever fully recover. My plan is to continue supportive care and abx treatment; once this regimen is over I'll start some high dose vitamin B therapy. Will have to look up dosing for that.

Video of her eating:

Trying to stand:

It would be hard to know exactly what is wrong with your pullet without testing from your state diagnostic lab.

I will hazard a guess that she has Marek's. Here's a very good read for you:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
Some birds can overcome the symptoms of the disease when given time and supportive care.
I would continue with the VitaminE. Add to her daily routine 1/4tablet human B-Complex vitamins and some egg for Selenium. A very small amount of fruit/veggies and cottage cheese make fine treats. I would also switch her to chick starter which usually has a higher protein content than layer feed.

She may benefit from physical therapy/massaging the legs and being placed in a sling daily to help keep her upright. If you happen to lose her, then sending the body for necropsy would give you answers. Your STATE LAB
Some photos of slings below, for more ideas just Google "chicken sling" and look at the images.
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

upload_2018-5-31_23-38-7.jpeg

I highly recommend you have a necropsy done if she does pass on. It has helped me immensely instead of just wondering what was wrong. It sounds like you are doing good supportive care.

I did read a lady “cured “ her hen with mareks by giving a homeopathic remedy. https://www.homeopathicremediesblog.com/remedies/hypericum/

This is just anecdotal advice. But it can do no harm.

Back
Top Bottom