medicated chick food or all organic?

lrogala

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Hi there,
I've always given my chicks the "start and grow" medicated food recommended from our local feed store because they always asked me, "wouldn't you rather protect your chicks against common ailments?" However a few days ago when I got three new chicks, the farmer suggested I use an organic type of food instead. I was curious what people thought on this matter. When I use the start and grow, of course my other hens end up eating it too and I just dont use there eggs for several months while the chicks are on this medicated food. I have four hens, and three babies. What should I consider when making this decision? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any responses!

Hello ,
I’m not a promoter of organic so I might be the wrong person to ask... the meds in medicated starter is ok to eat from what I’ve read here.

I wouldn’t take the chance with chicks it’s all good til they’re all sick then you have to act fast or loose them all . I just bought chicks online being fed organic home mixed grains , they had coccii so bad, I’d never seen so much blood and death , I saved a few by feeding with a dropper...

Think long and hard, the first few days /weeks are so important to their health I start with one bag medicated and then grower ...we all make our own choices but I’m not taking the chance after seeing those very sick birds( she took them back), I believe it helps them build an tolerance to coccidiosis and that’s good enough for me

Last edited:
If the medication in your starter is Amprolium, it is safe to eat the eggs if your hens do eat the starter. Amprolium is a thiamine blocker.

All that being said, I never use medicated feed, and I have never had coccidiosis in any of my chicks. The feed store statement about "protecting your chicks" is nothing more than fear mongering from an uninformed employee. When I started my first flock "this time around" (I've had poultry off and on for the past 50 years) I told the employee that I wanted unmedicated chick feed. The reply: "You can't do that. Chicks must have medicated feed." My response: "I'll take my chances, please give me unmedicated chick starter." Miffed store employee: "If you use unmedicated feed, they will die. Besides, we don't have any." Me: "Thank you, I'll be doing business with your competitor." Next year, lo and behold, that store was now stocking unmedicated chick starter. Amazingly, they were now selling the very thing that is presumably the cause of death of chicks everywhere!

I choose to go the natural route regarding building immunity for a strong flock. But, I do not use organic feed. I give my chicks a plug of sod from untreated lawn starting the first week after hatch. I ferment feed for all of my birds. And I use deep litter in coop and run. All of these measures work together to load the bird's gut with beneficial bacteria and fungi to boost digestion and immunity.

With advances in probiotics and natural supplements for GI tract and general health, there is really no need for medicated chick feed anymore. If they all got the regular round of vaccinations, you shouldn’t see any issues. It’s more about proactive immune system health these days, rather than using unnecessary medications for issues they will probably never encounter. Promoting immune system health, and keeping a clean environment for your chicks, is all you need.

I manufacture organic, so I am obviously a little biased...... however, i can tell you that you don’t need to feed organic. Most conventional feed companies make a non-medicated starter, and a lot of them have actually discontinued manufacturing any medicated chick feeds. They have fortified their feed with probiotics, and vitamin/mineral supplements to promote immune system health instead.

Organic or not, you will be fine with a non-medicated starter. If there are not other specific reasons for you wanting to feed organic, you might as well skip it, and just feed a conventional non-medicated starter.

The so called medicine in medicated chick feed is designed to be eaten by the single celled parasites that cause coccidiosis. The "medicine" in medicated chick feed is mistakenly eaten by the coccidiosis organism and this causes the organism to basically starve and that allows the young chick to develop a personal resistance to coccidiosis.

I used Medicated Start and Grow with my current flock, and will use on my next.
But only for 10 weeks.
I have read that Amprolium is effective up to 10 weeks.
I would then switch to a Non-Medicated Start and Grow when that bag ran out. GC

Hi there,
I've always given my chicks the "start and grow" medicated food recommended from our local feed store because they always asked me, "wouldn't you rather protect your chicks against common ailments?" However a few days ago when I got three new chicks, the farmer suggested I use an organic type of food instead. I was curious what people thought on this matter. When I use the start and grow, of course my other hens end up eating it too and I just dont use there eggs for several months while the chicks are on this medicated food. I have four hens, and three babies. What should I consider when making this decision? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any responses!
I gave mine organic. I would not give them medicated unless they were sick or kept in an unclean environment where they could get sick. I keep all my animals in very sanitary conditions, so I would not think they would need it.

When my chickens were chicks I decided to give them medicated feed just as extra protection but now that they have grown in to chickens I try to keep it organic. In my opinion find a medicated feed with good reviews

I try to eat organic as much as possible so for me, organic is the only option. If that doesn't matter to you, save yourself $$ and buy conventional feed, either medicated or non-medicated if you feel strongly one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom