Medicated food for dual purpose chicks

Masekhomestead

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2023
We will be getting buckeye chicks here soon and I am conflicted on whether they need medicated food or not. We are ordering from Tractor Supply and when I spoke with a worker on the phone I was told they are unvaccinated. Since they will be egg and meat birds I saw they need a higher protein feed, I was going to go with 20%. All of the medicated feed I found is only 18% though. So my question is, do we need the medicated or the higher protein? If we go with non medicated I read that we could add First Peep, a natural chicken supplement for digestion. Not sure which option is best. First time (soon to be) chicken owner and there is sooooooo much conflicting information.

The medication is medicated feed is simply amprollium, a coccistat, that reduces the chances of coccidiosis.
If your chicks are not mingling with other chickens or exposed to the ground right away, you won't need it. Coccidiosis is very simple to treat, so I personally don't bother.
Any chicks and growing birds do well on a 18-20% feed, not just duel purpose.

The medication is medicated feed is simply amprollium, a coccistat, that reduces the chances of coccidiosis.
If your chicks are not mingling with other chickens or exposed to the ground right away, you won't need it. Coccidiosis is very simple to treat, so I personally don't bother.
Any chicks and growing birds do well on a 18-20% feed, not just duel purpose.
Thank you!! They will be in our basement in a brooder for the first few weeks anyway, that clears up a lot!

Not all medicated feeds are amprollium based.
The idea behind medicated feed is to provide a very low dose of coccistat while the chicks build up some resistance to whatever strain of coccidiosis you have in the soil.
In keeping conditions where the chicks are allowed to range on natural ground they build up a tolerance to coccidiosis by exposure.
Given you are brooding in a basement the chicks are not going to get the opportunity to build up any tolerance to any of the pathogens that are in the soil.
One option is to make a soil tray by getting soil from the ground the chicks will eventually live on and placing the tray with the soil in the brooder. If you scatter a small amount of feed on the soil the chicks will get some exposure to the pathogens that are in the soil as they scrath and dig for the feed you've scattered on the soil tray.
Some people have found simple clods of earth dug from the ground serve as well as a tray of earth.
What you will need is a bottle of amprolium on hand for when the chicks do eventually get put outside. Coccidiosis can kill young chicks with two to three days so having amprolium to hand is very important.

^^^

Here in the US, its almost all Amprolium based, which is a thiamine antagonist. Our friends across the pond generally use one of two coccidiastats if my readings of sample feed lables is reasonably accurate*. Neither is amprolium, and I can't for the life of me explain how they work; Monensin and Narasin. There are a bunch of others approved there that are similar chemically, but those are the names I remember seeing most frequently. I believe both are ionophores, the end result of their opeation is that things like Eimeria explode (rupture, but "explode" seems somehow more gratifying), while Amprolium basically makes them starve to death by depriving them of a needed vitamin needed to make simple carbs.

* I have read quite a few feed labels from across the pond. HOWEVER, its a big place, lots of countries, lots of languages I don't speak. i could be very wrong on which are actually the favorites in the backyard feed market.

^^^

Here in the US, its almost all Amprolium based, which is a thiamine antagonist. Our friends across the pond generally use one of two coccidiastats if my readings of sample feed lables is reasonably accurate*. Neither is amprolium, and I can't for the life of me explain how they work; Monensin and Narasin. There are a bunch of others approved there that are similar chemically, but those are the names I remember seeing most frequently. I believe both are ionophores, the end result of their opeation is that things like Eimeria explode (rupture, but "explode" seems somehow more gratifying), while Amprolium basically makes them starve to death by depriving them of a needed vitamin needed to make simple carbs.

* I have read quite a few feed labels from across the pond. HOWEVER, its a big place, lots of countries, lots of languages I don't speak. i could be very wrong on which are actually the favorites in the backyard feed market.
"Although the exact mechanism of action is currently under investigation, diclazuril exerts its anti-S. neurona effect by inhibiting merozoite production."
Your not alone in not quite understanding how some of the coccidiosis treatments work.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/diclazuril

Diclazural was the chemical in the medicated feeds I used in Catalonia and I believe it's common in other European countries.

"Although the exact mechanism of action is currently under investigation, diclazuril exerts its anti-S. neurona effect by inhibiting merozoite production."
Your not alone in not quite understanding how some of the coccidiosis treatments work.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/diclazuril

Diclazural was the chemical in the medicated feeds I used in Catalonia and I believe it's common in other European countries.
I'll have to remember that, thank you.

Those following along, Diclazuril is NOT an ionophore, and is a more effective coccidiastat than the ionophores it is replacing.

Based on a handful of studies I just read, anyways. Thank you, always appreciate learning something new.

Last edited:
Also, chicks vaccinations can be for different things, and IIRC none of which are for the coccidiosis that most medicated feeds address.
A vaccine for coccidiosis does exist, and is available for chicks bought from some hatcheries in the USA.

Here are example pages from three different hatcheries that talk about coccidiosis vaccination, although the information seems a bit contradictory from one to another:

https://jenkshatchery.com/products/coccidiosis-vaccination-chickens-only
https://www.mypetchicken.com/blogs/faqs/why-dont-you-offer-a-vaccine-against-coccidiosis
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/coccidiosis_vaccination.html

We will be getting buckeye chicks here soon and I am conflicted on whether they need medicated food or not. We are ordering from Tractor Supply and when I spoke with a worker on the phone I was told they are unvaccinated. Since they will be egg and meat birds I saw they need a higher protein feed, I was going to go with 20%. All of the medicated feed I found is only 18% though. So my question is, do we need the medicated or the higher protein? If we go with non medicated I read that we could add First Peep, a natural chicken supplement for digestion. Not sure which option is best. First time (soon to be) chicken owner and there is sooooooo much conflicting information.
I'd choose the 20% protein and count on my husbandry skills to prevent the coccidiosis or treat when required.. clean water and dry bedding without over crowding the brooder. Also bring in a clump or dirt/grass as soon as possible for a little exposure and build the immune system some before suddenly going out full time.

Coccidia are always present.. coccidiosis.. is an overgrowth of them.

To bad the medicated feed won't work for Marek's or other things.

Chicks don't need supplements for digestion. Crumble is preground and grit is what chickens use to digest more whole foods. Any standard formulated ration is acceptable.. I personaly won't feed chicks 18% protein by choice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom