Medicated Feed after Corid treatment?

MaryMeyerAZ

Hatching
Apr 3, 2024
Looking For advice on medicated feed…?
I have never used medicated feed, but recently introduced four new pullets to my flock. I took a month to make the transition and thought everything was going great. But now we are all battling coccidiosis.

Everyone seems to be on the mend with Corid treatment. 🤞
My question is, would it be wise to move to medicated feed as a preventative moving forward??
I would prefer to stay away from it, and build up their natural immunity. But this was a god-awful mess!! I just want them happy and healthy moving forward. Thanks for the input.

Hello MaryMeyerAZ.

May I make a suggestion that should in the long run make life easier for you and anyone who may have suggestions for any questions you may have, including this one and any future questions.

Introduce yourself on this thread here making sure you fill in your profile including location and a few details about your chickens.

Everyone seems to be on the mend with Corid treatment. 🤞
My question is, would it be wise to move to medicated feed as a preventative moving forward??
I would prefer to stay away from it, and build up their natural immunity. But this was a god-awful mess!! I just want them happy and healthy moving forward. Thanks for the input.
Assuming the medicated feed has amprolium (same medication that is in Corid), I might get a bag of medicated feed, then go back to non-medicated when that bag runs out.

The amprolium in the feed will probably help them form a natural immunity in this case, not hurt. To build immunity, they need exposure to small amounts of coccidiosis. Too much will make them sick or kill them, none will mean they don't build immunity. The medication level in the feed is meant to help keep the coccidiosis at a level that is right for building immunity, rather than high enough to cause big problems.

Or you could get the same effect by putting corid in their drinking water, at the "preventative" dose listed on the package, and feeding un-medicated feed.

I would definitely keep corid available, in case you have another flare up and need to treat them again.

Back
Top Bottom