Coccidiosis? Treating while on medicated feed?

Somewhere_In_The_Clouds

🎶 Broken turns to Beautiful 🎶
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2022
Australia
So I have about 37 chicks of four different hatches, ages from 2-7 weeks old. None are showing signs of sickness but some have shown concerning poos. All are on medicated food. Quite a few of these chicks are important hatches for a family member who recently lost almost the entirety of their flock to a fox. So I am not wanting to take chances with them and want to know if it's ok to treat them for coccidiosis while they're on medicated feed? Should I also be treating the seven broody babies who've been out near the adults their entire life? Should I treat any of my adults at the same time or just the chicks?

20231123_085357.jpg
20231123_085402.jpg
20231123_085352.jpg
20231122_180044.jpg

You should take them off medicated feed if you're using Corid as both contain amprolium. Corid is a treatment with 8X the amprolium in it as medicated feed but still you'd be overdosing them.

The medicated feed was for them to build up resistance to certain strains of Cocci, but it's not a cure. Sort of like our flu shots.

If you're considering treating any, I'd treat them all, just to be safe.

None are showing signs of sickness but some have shown concerning poos. All are on medicated food.

So I am not wanting to take chances with them and want to know if it's ok to treat them for coccidiosis while they're on medicated feed? Should I also be treating the seven broody babies who've been out near the adults their entire life? Should I treat any of my adults at the same time or just the chicks?
You can take them off the medicated feed when treating with Corid, but most folks don't. In the U.S. Medicated Chick Starter has a minute amount of Amprolium.

The poop is questionable, so I'd treat them all.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom