medicated feed or unmedicated?

MammaBird

Hatching
May 6, 2015
Ontario
I have a 2 week old banty Braham and two 5 week old ees. They came with food but now they are almost out and I'm not sure what to buy them. We're raising them as pets and for eggs if that helps any.

I would keep them on another round of medicated, myself. there is no reason not to, if it isamprolium that is the medication. The chickens don't absorb it, the only thing it hurts are the cocci, so this igves them a little longer to deverlop a good immunity. In some places, cocci are so numerous that chicks get sick and even die from cocci in spite of the medicated feed, and require much higher doses of the same medication to survive. Some people even give their young chicks a higher dose than what is inthe feed as a preventative. You can even eat eggs laid by hens who also eat this feed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/879239/cocci-prevention#post_13364390

farmers for years never had medicated and I like natural....no medicated ever for us in north Midwest....

Personally I have always used medicated feed for the chicks. Hatched out in mid February and just bought a chick grower formula w/o medicated. I have done this for every chick since I started and have not lost one. they are now almost 2 1/2 months old now. This round I had four, It is difficult keeping the big girls away from their food.
I would always use the medicated. Especially with as much rain here right now.

It is difficult keeping the big girls away from their food.
There is no need. Purina says the amprolium is not absorbed but stays in the gut where it is active against the cocci there. No need even to discard eggs. Baby chick feed is just fine for the whole flock for a few weeks. Just offer oyster shell separately for the layers who want it.

A number of members feed a grower orflock raiser year round to avoid calcium being fed to those who should not get it, including cockerels.

http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=36

There is no need. Purina says the amprolium is not absorbed but stays in the gut where it is active against the cocci there. No need even to discard eggs. Baby chick feed is just fine for the whole flock for a few weeks. Just offer oyster shell separately for the layers who want it.

A number of members feed a grower orflock raiser year round to avoid calcium being fed to those who should not get it, including cockerels.

http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=36

You know after reading this link, I am going to put all girls on grower formula until the little girls are 20 weeks old. D
Do you think that is a good idea since the big girls eat the little girls food anyway. And I keep shuffling food dishes around and timing issues of feeding. ?
That would be 14 hens. And the 4 babies are 12 weeks old.
Thanks.

I got some older chicks, broilers, and I only did one round of electrolytes and probiotics in their water, just to be safe
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom