medicated feed ot not?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by gevannos, May 24, 2011.

1. gevannos

gevannos Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    So my flock arrives on Friday and I'm all ready for them. My wife is even taking an interest, thought that's been a bumpy road.

My question is medicated feed or no? I picked up 200 pounds of 19.5% chick starter at the mill and it does not say if it's medicated or not. Should I add something or not? They tell me it's what all their customers swear by.

I did pick up a small bag of medicated at TC just in case.

Thanks
    Eric

2. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    Mine are three weeks old now and I do not use medicated feed. I started with 15 and have 14 because one died within three days of hatching. Many people do use medicated feed, though, so I guess it is an individual choice.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I feed my 6 and 4 week olds medicated feed. I can't see any reason not to especially reading about so many people with sick chicks on here. If I were you I would start with the small bag of medicated feed which won't last long, then gradually switch over to the new unmedicated feed. There are medications that can be put in the water when they are on the new feed if you choose to keep them on amprollium. It's just personal preference, and if you just type in medicated feed or not on the search mode you will probably get more opinions to make up your own mind. Good luck with your babies.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:How long are you going to keep them on medicated feed? If you keep the 6 week olds on much longer I wouldn't eat them. Also usually chick starter doesn't have a high enough protein count.

For OP- We feed medicated the first week or so and then switch to Meatybird or a gamebird feed. You want around a 20% protein in it.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    No medicated feed here. It isn't necessary for CX.

6. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Not.

7. gevannos

gevannos Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Thanks folks. I guess I'll use the medicated bag and then go with the non medicated and see how it goes.

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We never use medicated feed.

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    not for meat birds for sure, and I don't use it for my layer chciks either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by