Medicated Feed ? Safe? Organic?

Xanatos

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
I am trying to raise my chicks organically and 100% naturally, is there ANY theory or evidence to suggest that 'medicated' feed might be unhealthy for them or for chickens? I can't see how it could BE healthy, considering the effects medicine has on humankind, but I am very curious to hear the arguments to this case. The local feed store has Amprolium listed as its active drug ingredient in the feed. How do Organic people raise chicks? I am looking to do the free range 100% healthy organic thing.

Please give me your advice! thanks everyone.

I do not know the answer, it may not be good. I would not want to feed mine medicated feed. I think if you truly wanted to go as organic as possible, just make your own feed. Their are several threads on here with recipes to do so. You should supplement some kind of feed even with free range, that is if you want to get a good amount of eggs, or to insure that, and to make sure the chickens have enough nutrients in their diet.

do you know of any specific threads you could link me to for this question? I would like to find some nonmedicated feed locally

Yes, you could feed the babies organic non-medicated feed. The amprolium listed is a coccidiosis retarder. Cocci is a parasite that lives on the ground of chicken habitation, and other birds presumebly, and resides in the intestines of chickens. Adults tend to develop an immunity to it which starts building when they are chicks and eat off the ground in the run. Chicks raised in cleaner environments may have difficulties when they go outside and become overloaded. Amprolium doesn't even seem to cross the egg barrier because I've heard that you can eat the eggs from chickens being treated for a cocci infection.

Chicks can die from a cocci infection, as a matter of fact, the danger weeks seem to be between 8 and 12, after they're moved from their confined brooder to the outdoors. Amprolium doesn't actually kill all the cocci in a chick's system, it keeps it to managable amounts until they develop an immunity to it.

To get chicks to develop an immunity, they should be raised on a floor with bedding that's not pristine. It obviously shouldn't be dirty, dirty, but they don't need a sterile environment. Wire raised babies tend to have more problems. As they peck around in the litter theoretically they'll develop an immunity to the cocci.

I fed mine medicated feed as babies and had zero mortality out of eleven chicks. Then when they went outside they thrived as well. I can't say whether the amprolium did the job but it's added to chick feed for a purpose. Go to Diseases and Emergencies and read the threads on cocci and then make your decision. You could always switch over to organic after they've gotten through their delicate weeks.

Good luck, Mary

Sorry, I guess I do tend to be long-winded.

Last edited:
If you wanted to find out any more info. Along the top, in the grey section where it lists your name and stuff, on the right hand side is a search. You can search there and find old threads they may have info on this.

I believe medicated feed is a no no for organic certification. If this is your first batch of chicks I would say no worries, just feed organic feed.
IMO All the "data" is from the factory farm mentality type folks..
wink.png

ON

DPR, cool blog by the way!

Last edited:
any suggestions on finding organic feed? the local store i've been buying feed from doesnt have it.

I agree, decide what to do during the tender weeks, then switch to organic. Personally, I look at horse site, but its has tips for overall organic/holistic animal care, just horse/human heavy.

Back
Top Bottom