Medicated Feed

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
My new chicks seem to like their chick-chow well enough-how do I assure that it is medicated against coccidiosis? Will it simply say "medicated" somewhere on the bag? What is the drug(s) I should be looking for?

Yes it should say medicated on the bag. There should be a white tag on the bag somewhere. The drug you are looking for is amprolium (sp?).

By the way,gritstar, love both of your siganture lines. Blessed be!
wink.png

So I just checked-not medicated. Called the lady at the feed store to verify, and she (quite indignantly) told me that none of her feed is medicated, that it totally unneccessary here in New Mexico.

I only have the three little chicks, oldest is three days old (other two are two days old). I have them on straw in a brood box in my bathroom, and I change the straw every other day. Should I run out and get the medicated, or is the lady at the feed store on the right track(it is pretty dry here).
Thoughts?
sad.png

Last edited:
Sorry desertgirl for not getting back to you sooner. Been gone all day.
It is considerably wetter here than where you are. I would not consider giving non-medicated here based on that alone. Feeding medicated is such an easy way to give them some protection against something that can kill them easily.
Here's a bump so that perhaps someone from your state can chime in on this.

Back
Top Bottom