Medicated fish food for bumble foot

timu22

Hatching
Feb 12, 2023
I have a male turkey with a bad case of bumble foot and he doesn't like me messing with his feet. Has anyone successfully treated bumble foot with medicated fish food? Brand? Dosage?

Free feeding something with antibiotics in it, that wasn't specifically designed for poultry, based on their average intake, there is no way to know what dose they are getting. Could be too much, could be not enough. If antibiotics were needed, it's far better to dose correctly, under dosing could leave you with a resistant bacteria.
I agree with @Wyorp Rock , we need to see pictures of the foot, antibiotics are very often not needed. Most bumblefoot doesn't respond particularly well to antibiotics in my experience, you have to manually get the infection out if it's gotten to that point. I've done a fair amount of chickens that don't like being held, I wrap them in a towel like a burrito and lay them on their back, they usually calm down. I have zero experience with turkeys, you might need someone to help hold it.

Not sure about that.

Post photos of the foot.
Most cases of Bumblefoot do not require antibiotics.
The infection seems more than just a plug. The whole pad is affected. And what about tricide neo foot baths for him?

Attachments

• DSC00116.JPG
    DSC00116.JPG
    501 KB · Views: 7
I would soak the feet to soften them up, epsom salts works, remove the scabs on both feet. Tweezers can help. Clean and squeeze out any gunk underneath, flush them out well with soapy water, chlorhexidine, or diluted betadine. You have to get all the gunk out or it will regenerate. Pack the hole with triple antibiotic ointment, cover with a gauze or telfa pad, and wrap with co wrap or vet wrap to keep it clean and dry. Change bandages daily until you know it's healing. These look too advanced for tricide neo to work, I've found that works better for smaller lesions. And Tricide neo can take a while to work, meaning daily soaks for quite a while. You could try, but I would be prepared to do the clean out. These feet might also take awhile to heal up completely. Bumblefoot can be a slow process of healing sometimes.
http://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment.html/?spref=pi
Turkeys are heavy, so that may be part of the reason this occured, any injury to the foot can let in bacteria that can start this. Look at your grounds also, lots of sharp rocks, roosts and ramps that can cause splinters, etc. Bacteria is everywhere, but build up of droppings, muddy conditions, all can make it worse.

I would soak the feet to soften them up, epsom salts works, remove the scabs on both feet. Tweezers can help. Clean and squeeze out any gunk underneath, flush them out well with soapy water, chlorhexidine, or diluted betadine. You have to get all the gunk out or it will regenerate. Pack the hole with triple antibiotic ointment, cover with a gauze or telfa pad, and wrap with co wrap or vet wrap to keep it clean and dry. Change bandages daily until you know it's healing. These look too advanced for tricide neo to work, I've found that works better for smaller lesions. And Tricide neo can take a while to work, meaning daily soaks for quite a while. You could try, but I would be prepared to do the clean out. These feet might also take awhile to heal up completely. Bumblefoot can be a slow process of healing sometimes.
http://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment.html/?spref=pi
Turkeys are heavy, so that may be part of the reason this occured, any injury to the foot can let in bacteria that can start this. Look at your grounds also, lots of sharp rocks, roosts and ramps that can cause splinters, etc. Bacteria is everywhere, but build up of droppings, muddy conditions, all can make it worse.
I tried all that soaking, Prid, Neosporin, etc. and when I tried surgery the scab always seemed too much to remove without creating a major wound. He's a strong 18-pound male Heritage turkey that vigorously resisted all my efforts. I only succeeded in infecting myself. So, as I take my antibiotics, I'll try to find him some oral ones for him too. But I'm done handling him. It was too much of a struggle. He's had this condition for years and I thought he staggered because he was just top heavy. A friend said his problem could be treated so I thought I'd try, but it's not easy enough for me.

Is vet care an option? I'm sorry it's been hard for you and that you contracted an infection. It's always a good idea to wear nitrile gloves when treating bumblefoot. If it's left alone it will slowly progress and may enter the bones where it's extremely difficult to treat successfully. It could become septic and be fatal. You can try antibiotics, but I'm not real confident that will be effective without cleaning out the feet also. If it works, let us know.

I have a male turkey with a bad case of bumble foot and he doesn't like me messing with his feet. Has anyone successfully treated bumble foot with medicated fish food? Brand? Dosage?
PRID salve available from Amazon will cure it in a few days of application

Back
Top Bottom