medicated starter feed for 1day+ old chicks

nashua

Songster
5 Years
Nov 18, 2018
Hello, I am a beginning and get 10 chicks on or around Nov 28th. They have been vaccinated for Marek's but that is all. I have 2 australorps, 2 americauna, 2 california leghorns, 2 black star and 2 gold star.
What is the best starter feed for them? I have a radiant heater, feeder, and nipple water bottle. Got pine shavings and a cardboard box with hardware cloth for the top. Any input appreciated.
Mary

Welcome to Backyard Chickens Mary! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: As long as the feed is labeled chick starter it will be fine for them. Some people prefer non-medicated. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Hello, I am a beginning and get 10 chicks on or around Nov 28th. They have been vaccinated for Marek's but that is all. I have 2 australorps, 2 americauna, 2 california leghorns, 2 black star and 2 gold star.
What is the best starter feed for them? I have a radiant heater, feeder, and nipple water bottle. Got pine shavings and a cardboard box with hardware cloth for the top. Any input appreciated.
Mary
My chickens got Purina Medicated chick crumbles when they were chicks. In fact, my chickens still eat Purina crumbles just the flock raiser now instead of the chick food. I have tried other brands and this is the food they eat the best.

I also supplied my chicks with chick grit as I would sometimes give them a chick block or treats and some outdoor time where they ate grass and etc.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Some people use medicated, some don't. If you've never raised chicks before, medicated might be the way to go. But always keep an Amprolium like Corid on hand all their lives. Coccidiosis is common during extremely wet summers, it can be contracted at any age.

You will need to train them to use a nipple waterer, it doesn't come natural to them. So keep an eye on all of them to make sure they are drinking.

Good luck with your new babies and welcome to our roost! :)

Hello, Mary, and welcome to BYC! :frow

I personally did not feed medicated feed. I had Corid on hand if I needed it, which I never did when mine were chicks.
I offered them clumps of sod from the yard starting at 2 weeks old. I also started offering chick grit at that time.
There are many good articles you can read in the Learning Center on raising chicks and how to set up your brooder.
Have fun and good luck with your new babies. :D

Last edited:
I use medicated feed for at least 10 weeks then gradually transition to a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower or a All-Flock feed.
I'm on my second Flock and have fed Purina Start & Grow feed. It's the only medicated brand I can get at my TSC. I have no complaints. I lost one chick at four days out of six in my first Flock, that was also fed mostly Purina. I haven't lost any in my second Flock of seven. They are currently 13 weeks old and I am currently feeding them Purina Flock Raiser.
I like Purina Premium feed, Nutrena Naturewise feed. I've fed both to my first Flock.
I would buy my Chickens either Purina or Nutrena, which ever is fresher at the time I'm at TSC.
I also offer them Chick Grit at two weeks and no Scratch Grains till ten weeks. GC

Back
Top Bottom