Medication for sour crop?

Hi, thank you. I suspect it is grass, as they or all chickens were eating grass that grew around the area where they are confined .

Our chickens are not free ranging, I have been adding ACV for days to the water, four bowls in all as there are 26 chickens in this group, and she does not want to be alone.

I cut down all the grass, some of which as you described thick and long, they ate the grass threw the chain link fence, I had a barrier of thick plastic diamond type fencing around the chain link for several years to as not to allow baby chicks to get thru the chain link.

I did purchase last night anti fungal creme for yeast infections in women, will try it this a.m.

Hi, thank you. I suspect it is grass, as they or all chickens were eating grass that grew around the area where they are confined .

Our chickens are not free ranging, I have been adding ACV for days to the water, four bowls in all as there are 26 chickens in this group, and she does not want to be alone.

I cut down all the grass, some of which as you described thick and long, they ate the grass threw the chain link fence, I had a barrier of thick plastic diamond type fencing around the chain link for several years to as not to allow baby chicks to get thru the chain link.

I did purchase last night anti fungal creme for yeast infections in women, will try it this a.m.

Oh, how about instant oatmeal cooked with water, serve it warm, I can isolate her

For over a year I fed Nutrena Layer pellets it has good bacteria added. then, a few months ago I switched to Country Acres, as it was then three dollars less than Nutrena, it does not
contain the good bacteria, I wonder if this caused the problem,? Over a week ago (I use about 50 pounds every 10 or so days for 26 chickens, I purchased Nutrena with the good bacteria, thenk, that was consumed bought a bag of conce again Country Acres, but, I suspect strongly it was the grass the chickens ate when I took down the protective plastic fencing barrier.

Sometimes what seems like a simple sour crop, is not. Is her crop filling with fluid? Has she been drinking or eating anything since yesterday? If her crop continues to fill and she is not eating, then she could have some other internal issue going on inside her body. Is she of laying age? She could possibly be internally laying and have peritonitis. Have you been vomiting her...as if the gunk is not being vomited out, it is not going anywhere and will make her sick.

I thought that my issue was feed, and I am not sure it still wasn't. New feed can throw the body off a bit, but she should at least be eating. Let me know if she is eating and whether or not the crop is still filling with fluid.

Last edited:
Often, folks are treating for impacted crop when the bird has sour crop, and vice versa. Also, sometimes, a crop is only a symptom of a system shut down, not the main issue. We just see the crop so we think the crop is the problem. Many times, it is not.

Same protocol or all sour crop issues (NOT impacted crop, which is different):

Separate the hen, 24 hours with no food, only water with 1/4 teaspoon of acidified copper sulfate (comes in powder form usually at the feed store) in a gallon in plastic waterer only. If you can't find that, use 2 tablespoons of organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in the plastic gallon waterer, changed daily. Day 2, add only plain yogurt. Day 3, add plain scrambled egg to the yogurt. Each day, massage the crop, several times each day, pushing toward the back of the crop, not upward. Day 4, maybe some soupy oatmeal added to the eggs and yogurt, but NO grains. Hopefully, that will clear it up. NEVER make them vomit!

Hi, the monostat helped, yesterday, I purchased sulmet, added it to her water in the afternoon

I will try soupy oatmeal today,

I added appple cider vinegar (Bragg's to her water for days)

For days each time I picked her up she vomited , her crop still feels watery, but, she did not vomit fluid yesterday, her feces is loose yellowish.

It is common for birds with sour crop to have diarrhea. The most important thing you can do here is keep her from free ranging, or isolate her if you have to. She should only be eating soft foods and foods that you know about. Damp layer feed, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs with yogurt, things of this nature. If she is wandering around and stuffing her crop with hard, stiff vegetation and such, you will never get this thing cleared up.

Back
Top Bottom