Meditated pheasant feed for quail chicks?

Dani334

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2021
I have a newly hatched batch of quail chicks and my local feed store only carries Turkey starter or pheasant starter. I got the pheasant starter, because it is a finer ground up feed. It is medicated for cocid. Is this okay to feed them. The feed protien content is 27. I believe. Will this feed harm them? There is another local feed store, but they were out of stock on their game bird starter. So I opted for the pheasant starter. I have more quail chicks arriving in the mail wed.

And here I was hoping they'd finally made a feed that calmed gamebirds down...lol
1623175633436.png

Medicated feed won't hurt them but I'd get them on regular gamebird feed, with 24 to 28% protein, ASAP!
But yes, Sean is correct.

So I'm okay to feed them the medicated feed? I had already planned on switching them over to a maintenance/breeder feed when they are six weeks old
I would order some regular, non-medicated feed ASAP. I've heard that it's okay and that it's not good for them but I haven't experimented. I'd err on the side of caution. One bag is not likely to cause them harm if you don't want to waste it, but if you order regular food right away you can mix it with the regular feed or keep it aside in case of an emergency like this time.

If you're concerned about grain size, an el cheapo coffee grinder from amazon does a decent job for the first week or so while they're really tiny.

I had no choice but to use a 50 lb bag of medicated gamebird feed once. Didn't have any problems. 27 is pretty close to 30. I wouldn't sweat it. You can probably supplement with some mealworms after a couple of weeks to give them a protein boost.

What do you mean? Regular game bird feed? Like I said, one feed store was out of game bird feed. So I opted for the pheasant starter. 27% protein. Am I wrong for doing this? I don't have many options here in my small town. And ordering and shipping feed can be expensive
For a one time purchase you did fine. You'll get the right stuff when they get it back in stock, and you might want to order ahead with them to make sure you have some when your current bag of feed starts getting low.

Back
Top Bottom