Meep. Newbie here!!

Kuki

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Hi everyone! My name is Winter and I live in So. California and thank you all for having me! What a great community!

I am a new chicken mom, to two 3 month old Black Stars (Julie and Sarah) and two 4 week old Rhode Island Reds (Paris and Nicole, named because they are extremely aggressive and obnoxious) and one very tiny 3 week old Plymouth Rock (Sambo).

This is my first flock. I have always wanted chickens...for the eggs. I am completely blown away by what amazing, loving pets they are!

So I bought these chickens from several different places...and I wanted only hens because we are not zoned for chickens here and I figure, crowing...not such a good thing.

I am 99% sure Julie (one of my 3 mo old black stars) is a Rooster. Unfortunately Julius (we call her that now) is also my full time buddy and favorite. He insists on his back massage every night, and must be in the living room every time my husband has band practice, roosting on whatever male he can climb on and I kid you not...he DANCES. I told my husband last night that we cannot get rid of him and if the neighbors get upset, we're gonna have to move!!

Julius hasn't started crowing yet...when do they do that??

I'm also worried that Paris and Nicole (RI reds) are males as well. They have huge tail sprouts already and are so aggressive.

Oh dear. Is it common to get sexed hens that are not hens???

Thanks for your input!

welcome-byc.gif
I can't have roosters where I am, so I couldn't tell you.
smile.png
Just wanted to say HI and Welcome. Others will give some info soon.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!

Sexing chickens isn't 100% accurate unless it's a color sexed breed. You can order all pullets from a hatchery and end up with several cockerals. It's just the way it is.

If you post pictures of your chicks we can do a better job of helping you determine the sex.

I love the crowing....I'm thinking about bribing the neighbors with fresh eggs!

I will post pics soon....

welcome-byc.gif

That's the problem with roosters. They're so handsome and they have so much personality...before you know it, they've stolen your heart.

You could always invest in some chicken diapers...or start looking for a cute place in the countryside.
wink.png

A DANCING rooster?! You have to find a way to keep him! He sounds amazing! I didn't know I'd fall so hard for chickens either - they really steal your heart.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Yeah, well the countryside in Los Angeles is called The San Fernando Valley and it ain't no country...LOL...and according to my career it would be hard to blow this town. But this rooster is such a lovebug, I'm seriously thinkin about ditching my career and movin to Savannah...now how romantic is that?

This Rooster has me WHOOPED I guess.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom