Pics

Chimby the chick

Chirping
Dec 1, 2020
Hello,
My name is Paola a.k.a. Niko, I'm from the island of Puerto Rico and I'm a second time Chick "mommy".

The first time I was a kid so I never knew if what I was doing was right. I was given a crayola orange colored chick for easter and raised it until it became a beautiful brown hen (though it was the size of a turkey). Fast foward 2-3 years, Nangy, my first free range chicken passed away after getting very sick. At the time I didn't know anyone who had ever had a chicken for a pet. It has now been over 9 years since then and I found a lonely chick (maybe a week old) under a car on a rainy night. I quickly took it inside and cuddled it in warm blankets. It's now been 3 weeks since then, and Chimby has become a very special part of the family. It has created a beautiful bond with me I never thought possible for a chicken.
I came across this great forum through google because Chimby gave us 2 scares already. Thanks to this forum I was able to care for Chimby and it is doing very well now. Hoping to find out its' sex, age and kind. Here's my very energetic happy Chimby (When we found it vs. now).
IMG-20201108-WA0041.jpg Screenshot_20201201-204634.jpg Screenshot_20201201-204845.jpg Screenshot_20201201-205619.jpg Screenshot_20201201-210537.jpg Screenshot_20201201-210506.jpg Screenshot_20201201-210300.jpg IMG-20201125-WA0010.jpeg

Last edited:
And to continue, here are my answers:
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Technically yes. Officially I was 14 when I got my first chick. With time I learned it was a girl but I am so aure it thought it was a dog. It laid eggs every afternoon, chase pigeons away and stand next to my dad during BBQ nights 🤣😅.

Fast forward 9-10 years and now I'm caring for Chimby.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Just 1.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have no idea. My first chicken had no feathers what so ever on her neck and was a beautiful golden brown color. My current chick is fluffy everywhere, and has now started to loose it's baby feathers.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They are so loving! They live hugs ans cuddles, they look for you everywhere, they grow attached to you, and it's wonderful to see how quickly they grow and learn.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love to paint, do water sports at the beach, and go on roadtrips.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm a CM Biologist and a current MBA student. I have a cat and a chihuahua (both adopted from the street also)...All pets I have ever had have somehow found their way to my home 🤣 I have never gotten one at a pet shop. No matter what I do, I love birds. Since very little I would care for any lost or injured birds I found (I have a soft heart for animals).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

The first time I found this forum was during Chimby's first week home. I had no idea it needed heat and from being very energetic, it became very weak so I freaked out and googled information about chiks and for my great surprise, found this forum. My dad quickly found a light bulb that heats up nicely and that solved that issue. Yesterday was the second scare. My chick is always inside the house in my room with me (my room has carpets which I obsessively clean with baby wipes and the Vacuum cleaner since Chimby came in). Chimby has only gone to the yard 3 times, one of them being this past Sunday. All of the sudden, on Monday I started to notice it was opening it's beakto breath at times and it wasn't swallowing it's food. I kept falling asleep all day and even then it kept "mouth breathing".

I tried giving it a little bit of water with ACV and a little garlic, the tried giving it a little water with honey and finally gave it some mashed potatoes with olive oil and that made it get peppy again. I prayed so much for Chimby to be ok. This morning Chimby woke me up bwith the surprise it learned to fly up to my bed and was feeling great. Then it was cuddling time as in to say thank you🥰.

I am so grateful for this forum.

Hello, and welcome! Good luck with your chick! Will you be getting the Chimby some companion's?

I absolutely want to and so does my dad (my mom isn't as excited 😂 she's not a pet lover, she is an animal lover from a far). To be able to get more, I must build a spacious chicken coop to protect them from my cat and all the neighborhood stray cats. I'm looking into blueprints/ ideas to build one soon since Chimby is growing fast (and 💩 plenty 🤣😅), so soon I don't think it can just stay in my room.

Back
Top Bottom