Meet Lazarus

Grandma Taylor

Chirping
Apr 15, 2020
Idlewild Michigan
Meet Lazarus my miracle chicken! This poor little guy started off with the worst birthday ever! 1st he was kicked out of his nest as soon as he was born, I was leaving for work so I asked Squire to keep an eye on him to make sure one of the hens took care of him. I came home from work and Squire had him in his pocket keeping him warm because none of the hens had claimed him and he found him being crushed under the feeder. We decided we would catch one of the hens and put the chick and the hen in what we call the nursery( a separate little coop). The hen we caught is one we named Tina Turner and unfortunately she was living up to her name and was being too crazy to take care of the chick so we caught Cream Puff, she wasn’t happy about the situation either and when I checked on them I found the chick being crushed under the watered. I figured it was a fluke so I sat the watered back up and figured I would check again before I went to bed. When I checked again I found a limp, cold chick in a puddle of water. I mean it was limp, no sign of life. Feeling pretty sad I got the chick and was about to dispose of it when I thought I glimpsed a movement in it’s beak. I wasn’t sure if I was just seeing things that were not there or not because it definitely showed no signs of life but I decided I wouldn’t give up yet! I ran inside grabbed a towel to begin to dry it off, blew air into it”s beak between drying and blowing warm air onto it’s body to try and put some warmth into it’s little body. I repeated these three things over and over again until the chick actually curled up as if it was back into it”s egg. After the day this poor little chick had I am sure it wanted to be back into it”s egg. I kept blowing warm air onto it until it started chirping quietly. It was still in pretty rough shape but even though it had not had success so far I knew it’s best chance was under a warm hen. By now it was dark and hens settle right down at night so I made sure the nursery was dry again, took the watered out of it(not taking that chance again) and put the chick under Cream Puff. I told Squire that if by some miracle that chick was still alive in the morning I was naming it Lazarus! That was about three weeks ago now and I am happy to say Lazarus and Cream Puff are doing just great!!!
AF9261AB-D6FD-4EFC-841D-D791194AD277.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom