Meet "Mabelo", the majestic guardian of my flock (and my house!)

Pics
How horrible! You must be heartbroken.

I have enjoying reading about Mabelo and his very big personality since you first posted about him in January. I know you two bonded when he was a chick and that he hated shoes.

If there is any consolation at all, it appears he was living a full life until the very end, and he will be alive in your heart forever. RIP, beautiful boy; three years wasn't nearly enough time.

Take care of yourself, MaeM

Oh, yes, he was very consented. He received his birthday gift one day earlier - a waterer with a design that made it easier for him to drink with his huge comb. Last time I saw him, he was using it right before bedtime. He never woke up after that.

I talked to his vets, tho. They said this confirms that I have some sort of virus in my backyard.

My other rooster, Anton, was less than 2 years when he died. Bianca got sick shortly after that, she is still alive but has a chronic respiratory issue. Ruby got a reproductive infection and was euthanized about two weeks ago. And now, Mabelo suddenly died...

I'm terrified, guys. I have 3 chickens left but I don't know how much they will last, knowing this.

I didn't want to have more chickens for many reasons anyway but now there are also health concerns involved. The vets discouraged me from getting more birds or hatching them because they think there's something wrong with the environment they're in.

But we don't have tests available, so the advice is simply taking care of my remaining chickens until they die, and maybe try again after some years, making sure that the birds are vaccinated... because these ones clearly are not :/

Oh, yes, he was very consented. He received his birthday gift one day earlier - a waterer with a design that made it easier for him to drink with his huge comb. Last time I saw him, he was using it right before bedtime. He never woke up after that.

I talked to his vets, tho. They said this confirms that I have some sort of virus in my backyard.

My other rooster, Anton, was less than 2 years when he died. Bianca got sick shortly after that, she is still alive but has a chronic respiratory issue. Ruby got a reproductive infection and was euthanized about two weeks ago. And now, Mabelo suddenly died...

I'm terrified, guys. I have 3 chickens left but I don't know how much they will last, knowing this.

I didn't want to have more chickens for many reasons anyway but now there are also health concerns involved. The vets discouraged me from getting more birds or hatching them because they think there's something wrong with the environment they're in.

But we don't have tests available, so the advice is simply taking care of my remaining chickens until they die, and maybe try again after some years, making sure that the birds are vaccinated... because these ones clearly are not :/
That has to be the hardest thing to hear. I'm really sorry. :hugs

Nice to meet Mabelo!
Wonderful story and photos :)
Handsome roo! I love the pics and story! Mabelo should meet my Mabel! I have written and illustrated a chicken cartoon called Mabel's World which features Mabel...a quirky chicken who thinks outside the egg. Interestingly, in the story and truly happened with my chickens, a rooster with a crippled foot was dropped off here by the side of the road without my permission. However, I grew to love that rooster!

Attachments

• Mabel's World full cover_edited.jpg
    Mabel's World full cover_edited.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Roo.png
    Roo.png
    304.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Mabelsworld.jpg
    Mabelsworld.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 0310180716b-1.jpg
    0310180716b-1.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 2

I just read your first posts about Mabelo and enjoyed them. Now I am reading this and am so sorry for your loss of him and your other chickens!

Mabelo turned 3 on Saturday.

He also died that day.

I still can't believe it. He was healthy, never showed a sign of illness or anything.

He went to sleep in the coop on Friday and my mother found him dead on Saturday morning.

He was in a nest box, no signs of violence either. He was stiff so I think he felt bad during the night, went to the nest box (he would normally sleep on the roost), and died there.

I have no explanations for this and my parents buried him without telling me because I had left the city to attend a concert. I just knew about this today when I came back home and Mabelo wasn't there.

Otherwise I would have frozen his body and send him for a necropsy on Monday, because there's no ****ing explanation for this... I can't even cry.

I lost another hen to reproductive issues about 10 days ago, I don't even have the results of her necropsy and I have another dead bird in my flock.

I'm shocked, scared.

My boy 😢😢😢😢😢😢
So sad! 😪

Back
Top Bottom