Meet my Girls

ShannonSmith44

Chirping
Jan 6, 2021
I am new to raising chickens. I grew up in So. Cal at the beach and when I was lucky enough to be around the occasional horse corral growing up I loved the chickens and goats more than the horses... . Now I live in a place that allows chickens and I have a great supportive man in my life that built me an amazing coop and run. It was many weekends and evenings after we do construction together building car washes. We got 8 baby chicks. 2 Wellsummers (they were a week older than the others) 2 Lavender Orpingtons 2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and 2 Blue Jersey Giants. We lost one of the Orpingtons a week into it to intestinal issues... 3 months flew by and they are big and healthy and now we have 2 bunnies co-habitating with them.. so far so good!

Attachments

• 20210105_101327.jpg
    20210105_101327.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210105_101405.jpg
    20210105_101405.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210105_100615.jpg
    20210105_100615.jpg
    998.3 KB · Views: 14
The photo with the bunny in the food dish made me laugh out loud! Your chickens (and rabbits) are lovely.

How do the birds and bunnies get along? When my chickens are free-ranging during the day, some of them ignore rabbits and others (along with the ducks and geese) actively run off the bunnies. And squirrels -- they really hate squirrels.

I suppose it's whatever -- or whoever -- they grow up with. The breeder where I get all my runner ducks quite successfully has rabbits and runners all together without incident.

Welcome to BYC and best wishes with your flock!!

The photo with the bunny in the food dish made me laugh out loud! Your chickens (and rabbits) are lovely.

How do the birds and bunnies get along? When my chickens are free-ranging during the day, some of them ignore rabbits and others (along with the ducks and geese) actively run off the bunnies. And squirrels -- they really hate squirrels.

I suppose it's whatever -- or whoever -- they grow up with. The breeder where I get all my runner ducks quite successfully has rabbits and runners all together without incident.

Welcome to BYC and best wishes with your flock!!
So far its working. I had a hard time actually finding rabbits... they were usually sold when I would find one. I got super lucky at the local feed store. They had just arrived and I had great timing. I noticed the chickens are curious but a bit afraid so maybe thats good. The bunnies are very sweet and seem to just be happy with having space to run... my aunt said her bunnies lived in the coop with her chickens for their whole lives... I am spending lots of time observing to make sure they are all ok with it. I am so glad I found BYC :)

Do you always feed all that corn and scraps to your girls? If so you should get them regular chicken feed without corn from tractor supply or Walmart as it is much healthier for them and will make their feathers grow in better
I was feeding them crumble because they're still young.. a trip to the local feed store and I accidentally asked for scratch and got that stuff.... I mostly feed them the good scratch from Kahoots brand so this weekend I'm getting something better.

Back
Top Bottom