Meet my girls!

Thank you you all for being so welcoming. It's great to be among other chicken lovers especially as we journey through our challenges with young Twiggy. She and Buffy have given us so much pleasure over the past eight months. We have so loved getting to know their little ways...
The reality of Twiggy's plight has been really sinking in today as I've been setting about caring for her and trying to stimulate her to use the movements she has to build up her strength. Have had to recommence crop feeds to ensure that she is getting adequate nourishment. Everything seem such an effort for her. It has been lovely and sunny today so have been outside with her as she's fossicked on the lawn and practised her perching skills. Walking is very awkward as she steps on the top of her floppy right foot and goes tumbling. I have to remind myself regularly of that indomitable spirit that pulled her through those 15 days of imprisonment. Stick at it Twig, you can do it!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. Good luck with Twiggy- I hope she gets completely better!

Two further days on and Twiggy is making steady gains. Milestones today- started to explore a little when placed out in the garden. Had enough strength to jump up into her nest box, about a foot off the ground. Generally more perky and interested. Has spent a bit of time, closely supervised by moi (!) sharing a corn cob with her mate Buffy. Am worried about her weak left leg which she holds bent at the knee and often clawed toes. She continues to sleep in a sling at night so I am trying out a bandage to splint it in extension and help prevent development of joint contractures (the occupational therapist in me coming to the fore!)

It's now a month down the track since Twiggy went missing and 15 days since we found her again in such a depleted state. I'm delighted to say that she is going from strength to strength with her recovery. It took 10 days of crop feeds to get her energy and stamina up but she is now a very hearty eater, gaining more weight each day. She is still sleeping in a sling at night to give her right leg a stretch - my efforts to splint her leg not successful but at least she s getting some degree of a stretch! She continues to walk in a very ungainly way but can stand tall mainly on one leg. I noticed her scratching her head this morning with her gammy foot - all little milestones! My two birds are currently housed separately as Buff has been rather stroppy on occasions towards little Twig. Best when free ranging - they have had some lovely afternoons over the last weekend fossicking together. Twig cannot scratch and turn the leaf litter over but she sits beside Buff who does this with sufficient energy fro oth of them to forage together. They are developing a new style together. Will add some more photos to my collection!

It's now a month down the track since Twiggy went missing and 15 days since we found her again in such a depleted state. I'm delighted to say that she is going from strength to strength with her recovery. It took 10 days of crop feeds to get her energy and stamina up but she is now a very hearty eater, gaining more weight each day. She is still sleeping in a sling at night to give her right leg a stretch - my efforts to splint her leg not successful but at least she s getting some degree of a stretch! She continues to walk in a very ungainly way but can stand tall mainly on one leg. I noticed her scratching her head this morning with her gammy foot - all little milestones! My two birds are currently housed separately as Buff has been rather stroppy on occasions towards little Twig. Best when free ranging - they have had some lovely afternoons over the last weekend fossicking together. Twig cannot scratch and turn the leaf litter over but she sits beside Buff who does this with sufficient energy fro oth of them to forage together. They are developing a new style together. Will add some more photos to my collection!
so glad Twiggy is doing some better
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom