Meet Patchy the Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quackmire, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Quackmire

Quackmire In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    My Own Personal Zoo
    Meet Patchy!

Patchy is blind, was covered in mites, and is gimpy with a foot that turns inward. I also noticed he has a bad case of bumblefoot on the inward-turned foot, and have begun treatment today, and made him a temporary 'boot' til I can order a neoprene pair of shoes from the member here that makes/sells them.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(here's Patchy today in his snazzy new designer denim duckboot....it ain't pretty, but he doesn't know that!) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have to assist him in eating multiple times a day as he is unable to find his own food. I'm hoping once the foot isn't as painful for him, he will begin to explore more and learn his 'new' surroundings and be able to find food on his own at least part of the time. But for now, he's a big baby.....and needs my help to eat.

He's such a sweet guy, and has tolerated all the pokin' and proddin' he's gone through over the last two weeks.... and is very calm as I treat his foot. Is he great, or what!? [​IMG]

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    [​IMG]

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    aweeee he's soooooooooooo cute!!!! how nice of you to take care of such a special duck!!! Patchy has the same pool that my older scovies have! but his pool looks way cleaner than mine LOL

[​IMG] for Patchy i hope his foot gets better!!!

4. duck walk

duck walk Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    Awwwww...poor guy...kudos to you for taking him on and helping him...

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You and Patchy are a fine pair of champions! Yay!
    [​IMG]

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

He is so pretty. I wonder how bad he looked like when you started. He is going through all this treatment, and I bet he knows that it will make him whole again. The seeing part, don't worry he will learn. Just keep him in an area where he can learn his way around.

7. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Songster

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    [​IMG]

How did he get mites? I didn't think that waterfowl got them very often. How did you treat him for them?

8. Quackmire

Quackmire In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    My Own Personal Zoo
    He's definitely a special guy....with his fair share of problems, and then some.... [​IMG]

lovesduckies.... the pool isn't as clean now as it was in the picture. [​IMG] But I have to keep it as clean as possible so his foot doesn't get dirty.

katharinad.... he didn't "look" too bad, actually. He was white, and well fed (despite not being able to see, thanks to local park-goers feeding him). Once he's alittle more mobile, the food/water will stay in the same spot all the time so he can learn to find it on his own. The pool also. I'm hoping when the foot heals he'll also be able to get in/out of the pool on his own. Right now I'm lacking ramps, but it doesn't matter because I have to take him to/out of the pool.

Prince... I'm not sure "how" he got them, but he definitely had them. Northern mites, I believe. I treated with Sevin and DE. He still has a few, I think they're on their second cycle (eggs that I missed are hatching) but just a few compared to his head being speckled is a good enough improvement for the time being..... This picture you can see some of them....

[​IMG]

The day I picked him up and brought him home, I spritzed him down and got him into some cool pool water because it was a very hot day, and he was panting heavily and VERY stressed, the mites were easily seen under the dampened head feathers, and he was just covered in them. I got multiple bites in my armpit from them that day, I assume they jumped off of him and onto me when I carried him to the car. Nasty little buggers!!! [​IMG] Talk about itchy!

So far the biggest challenge has been keeping a booty on him. For a little cripply guy, he's pretty good at takin' his shoes off!

9. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Songster

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]

He's such a sweet guy, and has tolerated all the pokin' and proddin' he's gone through over the last two weeks.... and is very calm as I treat his foot. Is he great, or what!?

[​IMG]

Patchy is perfect!
    Love him.
    what a wonderful duck and what a wonderful ducky friend you are!
    Thank you.

Beth​

10. KansasKid

KansasKid Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:I went to the vet last week and talked to him about using ivermectin on ducks and he said it will also take care of mites too. (just a thought)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by