Meet Penny...

Chiquey

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Northeast Georgia
Penny was literally transformed overnight. I am out there with them every day, so I noticed right away that there were suddenly long dark tail feathers that were not there previously. Has someone beamed my little red hen away and left an imposter, or is this a case of "Call me Caitlyn"?

I pretty much made peace with that already. What kind though? She was supposed to be a red sex link. Well, HE...

He's not a Red Sex Link. RSL cockerels are primarily white with some reddish feathering in the saddle area. He's a Production Red cockerel.

He's not a Red Sex Link. RSL cockerels are primarily white with some reddish feathering in the saddle area. He's a Production Red cockerel.
Yep, Production Red cockerel. Red sexlink pullets are red, but have some white, usually in the tail and wings. The fact that this bird feathered out solid red should have been the tip off that it was not what you thought you bought.
The big red comb and wattles; the thin, shiny male saddle feathers near the base of the tail; and the darker red shoulder patches all are clear indicators of a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom