Meet Rascal!!! Ideas on breeds?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CoyoteMagic, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

After the incident that we had with a Cattle Dog puppy we picked up in TN (attacking and biting [​IMG] ), we thought we would wait awhile before looking again.

Ya'll know how that goes!! Friends of ours at the local dog park, talked to another person who was fostering a Cattle Dog cross puppy that they pulled from Animal Control. Well, this person emailed us with this.......

[​IMG]

Rascal is currently spending a few days with us to see how things work out. So far there have been a few squabbles over food, but this has been on Katies part. We're working on this and did much better today. Katie is a bit to possessive of Mom and her toys, we're working on this too. They played a good part of the day out in the yard and did really well. Only 2 incidents today of teeth, but no blood and both were corrected for the behavior.

We were told that Rascal was part Cattle Dog, but we don't know the other part. Any ideas?

My Katie is all Cattle Dog.

[​IMG]

We are having problems with diahrrea. Rascal had coccidia at 4 months old and showed no signs of any problems to day when checked out by my vet except for some pink eye. I'm feeding pumpkin (so was the rescue) but things haven't firmed up yet. Thinking of breaking with my no grains policy and feeding oatmeal with pumpkin mixed in to see if that helps.

ETA---he has been wonderful with my cats (semi-blind) he only chased one and hasn't done it anymore since he was corrected.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    looks like some bull terrier in his body wide chest....looks like his gonna be a terror.....look up at the camera ok whats next. Sure cute and his expression [​IMG]

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    i'd say some heeler int here along with a terrier of some sort.

He really is pretty![​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I see terrier. Cute dog. [​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I'll get some better shots of him tomorrow when we are out playing. He's really sweet, a bit timid, but breaking out of that shell quickly with Katie around, lol. Whimpers a lot, unsure of himself and new situations.

I'm not a really bull, pitbull, etc...terrier kind of person. With the whiskers around his muzzle I was thinking a terrier of some kind too.

6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Our cattle dog is a great dog! It is probably a terrier/healer mix similar to your pup shown. Ours has a double mask on the face though... Cattle dogs can be protective of its owner and VERY loyal. Mine sticks to me like glue when I am outside. They can nip at heals which is the herding instict but you can control urges by being a clear alpha. You need to set rules and be firm. As for protecting food.... We are a rescue and our philosophy is to free feed. Yes... give all the food that they want. After a week or two of gorging on food, they soon learn that they always have food available and there is no need to guard a food bowl. We also feed RAW meat to our dogs and the rescues get a big chunk as well. Of course they will need plenty of running and playtime to ensure that they stay triml. All dogs can squable over a toy or chew. Try to be present during feeding and play time to enstill peace. If they respect you as the Alpha then they will obey and be happy. [​IMG]

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    First thing I thought when I saw him is that he has some french bull dog in there. Those ears look just like my friend's frenchie's! I definitely see cattle dog too though.

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Oh I know. I recently lost my Cattle Dog of 12 years. I learned a lot from that girl. I don't feed raw but I do feed no grains.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

We decided not to keep Rascal after all. Nothing wrong with him or between he and Katie. Problem is me. I just don't have the strength to handle another puppy right now. I haven't had chemo in 2 weeks and I'm exhausted just keeping up with them. It's only going to get worse once I start up again. I should be done sometime in April with the major drug and then have radiation. We have decided to give this a go once I have recovered frome everything. Probably late next summer.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Closed at the request of the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by