Meet the ladies...

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
Totalty new to owning chickens, I did a little research and I have come up with my breed guesses for all the girls. I would like to know if I'm right or not. There is 8 white hens that I will post later, Im assuming they are Leghorn crosses. 2 are all white, 3 have some gold lacing, and the other 3 have black specks ranging from barely noticable to large parts of feathers have black... Without further adieu here are the rest!

I guess speckled sussex (and yes she did pose for this picture)

Gold Sexlink?

Black copper Maran... I think. I aquired two of these ladies

I guess Black Australorp... I have 2 of these

The first picture definitely looks like a speckled sussex to me. Beautiful, btw!

The second pic is definitely a golden sex-link (golden comet/etc.).

The third pic COULD be a Marans, but we would have to see the legs. What color are they, and is there any feathering on them? Marans should have white-ish pink legs and sparse feathering on them. (The feathering I believe might be missing it still could be a Marans.) Fun fact: The breed name is "Marans", including the s, even in the singular, as it is named after a town in France. Marans experts please feel free to correct any info! If it has a different color leg, it is probably a black sex link hen, which is more likely as they are more common.

The fourth pic of the black hen, is not an Australorp. They have black-ish colored legs. This could be a Black Plymouth Rock? Rocks have yellow legs and red earlobes and single combs. I'm not sure what else this could be?

Hope this helps!

The first picture definitely looks like a speckled sussex to me. Beautiful, btw!

The third pic COULD be a Marans, but we would have to see the legs. What color are they, and is there any feathering on them? Marans should have white-ish pink legs and sparse feathering on them. (The feathering I believe might be missing it still could be a Marans.) Fun fact: The breed name is "Marans", including the s, even in the singular, as it is named after a town in France. Marans experts please feel free to correct any info! If it has a different color leg, it is probably a black sex link hen, which is more likely as they are more common.

The fourth pic of the black hen, is not an Australorp. They have black-ish colored legs. This could be a Black Plymouth Rock? Rocks have yellow legs and red earlobes and single combs. I'm not sure what else this could be?

Hope this helps!

Yes, I agree with all above. Not a Marans expert, but have read that the breeding stock from England tends to have clean legs (no feathers) while the French breeding stock has sparsly feathered legs. If a Marans, you will know by the very dark brown egg.

I applaud chickenmomma16 for doing so much research. Identification can be tough, especially when many chickens have other breeds bred into their lines, with the intent of improving or adding a desirable trait. You also get "unwanted" traits from these crosses, but the chickens can still be great.

Your girls all look lovely and healthy, and seem happy to have such a great place to run around!

Best wishes!
frow.gif

Hope this helps!
this is true in a since except when it involves hatchery birds as even the speckled sussex has the wrong leg color. since hatcheries don't breed to standard (they breed for egg production) there are several things that can be out of place on a hatchery birds. three things that come to mind straight off the bat is wrong ear lob color, wrong leg color, and wrong body type.

sussex are supposed to have white legs but it is a sussex
gold sex link is right
correct again that is a marans, marans is always with an s. also a there is the french black copper marans and the theres just the black copper marans. the french has sparse feathering on its legs (which is what the standard calls for) while the black copper has no feathering. there legs are supposed to be white
that is indeed an australorp with slightly off leg color like the sussex has

Yes, I agree with all above. Not a Marans expert, but have read that the breeding stock from England tends to have clean legs (no feathers) while the French breeding stock has sparsly feathered legs. If a Marans, you will know by the very dark brown egg.

I applaud chickenmomma16 for doing so much research. Identification can be tough, especially when many chickens have other breeds bred into their lines, with the intent of improving or adding a desirable trait. You also get "unwanted" traits from these crosses, but the chickens can still be great.

Your girls all look lovely and healthy, and seem happy to have such a great place to run around!

Best wishes!
frow.gif

that will depend on how they have been breed. ive seen them lay the same color as a welsummer or sometimes even lighter

Personally, I think they're all mixed.
The speckeled bird probably has a lot of sussex in her, but the legs are off and the body type doesn't look like my birds.
The second one could be a sex link, the color is right.
The third and fourth ones--well I don't know much about marans but the last one really doesn't look like an australorp to me. The body style isn't right.

Did anyone else notice the large combs on the last three especially, with that big overhang on the back? Since all of them look too light bodied to be the breeds they mostly resemble, I'm thinking there's leghorn in there somewhere, esp since OP says she has some leghorn mix. I'm guessing these birds just came from a backyard breeder and mixes are a great possibility.

okay to be honest, I didn't even fully read the top part above the pictures! I'm terrible! I agree with the poster above on the body style though. They do all have that lean, leghorn look. I guess I just assumed they were young, and hadn't grown into the stockier dual purpose bodies...

How old are they, OP?

okay to be honest, I didn't even fully read the top part above the pictures! I'm terrible! I agree with the poster above on the body style though. They do all have that lean, leghorn look. I guess I just assumed they were young, and hadn't grown into the stockier dual purpose bodies...

How old are they, OP?
those birds are not the leghorn crosses the op is talking about. those dont look mixed but they do look hatchery quialty

Totalty new to owning chickens, I did a little research and I have come up with my breed guesses for all the girls. I would like to know if I'm right or not. There is 8 white hens that I will post later, Im assuming they are Leghorn crosses. 2 are all white, 3 have some gold lacing, and the other 3 have black specks ranging from barely noticable to large parts of feathers have black... Without further adieu here are the rest!

Last edited:
those birds are not the leghorn crosses the op is talking about. those dont look mixed but they do look hatchery quialty

I understood that. OP did not say these are leghorn crosses. But it sounded like all the birds came from the same place and if some are more obvious leghorn blood, it leads me to thing these are also.

Back
Top Bottom