Mega-Stash, my EE has been at it again!

HenHaven

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
Coarsegold, CA
Yesterday, while cleaning up the yard, my husband found this stash of EE eggs! Hootie has always been one to hide her eggs, but this is the biggest stash so far! She is a small hen, isn't it amazing how she can almost cover 22 eggs!!!
Sept18040.jpg

August6097.jpg
I photographed her this morning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since it has probably taken her a month to lay all those eggs, I will probably boil them up and feed them back to the chickens. It has been hot here over the last month, and I am afraid some might be spoiled. Guess I will have to do the "float test" first, to see which ones I can use!

No roosters here...she went broody this summer, and she raised a lone chick that I hatched from Speckledhen's Lexie and Hawkeye. Right now, she's not showing any signs of being broody--she's just found herself a cozy place to lay.

If she goes broody next spring/summer, I will buy some Welsummer or Marans eggs for her to hatch!

My hens did that with 26 eggs! I thought they weren't laying all that well, and moved an old box which turned out to be full of brown and green eggs. Only two of them were bad, so I made a whole lot of breakfast burritos for the freezer!

Back
Top Bottom