?Mega Zit things in rooster comb? Can't find anything on it. Now with pics

The pictures. Unfortunatley the largest pocket didn't focus well. Pictures show me pulling yitch out of these pockets. One which was blurry with the yitch in it you can see after it's been cleaned out. Previously cleaned ones seem to close up and be fine. Still interested if anyone has seen anything like this and better to just leave them or remove the yitch.

Comb Shot

yitch ball in fold

made scoop to get them out.

working yitch out

semi cleaned

more yitch

dirty fold

MEGA yitch pocket

MEGA Yitch pocket mostly cleaned

MEGA yitch pocket cleaned

Various bits of yitch.

Yitch, cellular slough, white or yellowish, hard or cheese like consistency. I don't think it's infection, but I don't want it to turn into anything. Some of the pockets are fairly impacted. Once the top becomes hard enough there is no exit and so it builds like a cyst.
I think it's a feather follicle with no feather much like a pore that is an exit for body waste. It got clogged by dirt or folds etc. A large black head like condition. I wanted to know if anyone else had seen anything like it to make sure it was what I thought and if it was better to leave them or remove them. Some of the pockets are large and deep once the material has been removed. The MEGA pocket could fit 4 Qtip ends.

Last edited:
Just checked the comb and the area has expanded back out and the pore? seems recovered. I believe it is less tender as he didn't seem to mind me looking at it as much.

I think it seems better and less tender though I don't know if the roo notices unless I'm poking at it. He definitely reacted better to the follow up than the removal. I'm not sure there was any life threatening issue. I'm not positive what it was. It did not seem unhealthy but then bumble-foot just looks like a scab. Best guess is still skin slough from the comb that got trapped and just kept getting bigger. A zit of sorts. I had hoped someone had seen something like it. I could find nothing on it anywhere. It was a mix of soft white material and some smaller harder bits. The largest pocket removed was over .25" in diameter and that deep as well. I neosporined the pocket holes after removal and there doesn't seem to be any negative affects. Hopefully it was positive.

Looked back at the pics and realized that I knew where and what the pockets were but after cleaned it was hard to tell from the rest.

Update:

Saw some white on the comb and caught the rooster (punk). More white stuff. in the area that the large pocket was in. It was filling in between flaps in the comb, forming to their shape. I can't see any other source for the material then slough off the comb. There is no hole that is extruding out of.
Came out easy as it wasn't packed into a pocket and is pictured. You can see the shape of the area between the folds/flaps of the comb. Still not sure what it is. Flesh under it seems fine, Punk seems fine. Cleaned it out more completely trying to get all pockets and swabbing it out with alcohol (didn't even cause discomfort) and then re-coated with Neosporin. Hope the Q-tip provides a reference for size.
No one has anything like this on any of their roosters? Could it be some sort of staff like bumblefoot but in the folds of the comb (there doesn't seem to be an increase is area like the cavity created in bumblefoot)?
Next step may be to take some in to have it tested.

Hi there. My 2-3 year old wyandotte too has this on his rose comb. I have had staph on my self several times, and am familiar with what it looks like. I thought this might be the staph as well.

My rod had several yellow balls of something protruding from his comb, and when I poked one of them, it came off in my hand, so I worked at the others, and the same thing. The entire comb basically had these pock-marks that were filled with this solidified puss looking stuff. I scraped all of it out that I could, and set him aside in a dog carrier for the day/night. I will see what he looks like in the AM.....

How did your punk end up? Ever get it tested?

Back
Top Bottom