Member of Necessity

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shirleybeth, Sep 28, 2016.

1. shirleybeth

shirleybeth New Egg

Sep 28, 2016
    Mesa, Arizona
    Hi all! I am in Arizona and have had backyard chickens here for almost five years. The neighborhood I live in is zoned to have up to 10 chickens in a household, and no roosters. We have always had 5-10.
    I joined this forum after my *new *young flock was massacred by a dog and desperately needed some chicken medical advice. I have moved the survivors to my sister's house since she can guarantee their safety. They will probably live out their lives there with her flock to minimize any more stress on them. And I am back to square one in building up my own flock again.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Sorry that you had to relocate your flock, but at least you know they are safe - I guess it also gives you an opportunity to try out different breeds in your new one.

Wishing you all the best with your new flock
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. So sorry for your loss.

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi and welcome

There will be few of us here who have not suffered losses to dogs or other wild predators, so we feel your pain. There is much joy in keeping chickens but some heartache too and many challenges. The important thing is to learn from them and move forward. I hope your survivors will be happy in their new home with your sister and you are able to provide a safe home for your new flock when you get them.

Best wishes

Barbara

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, shirleybeth, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard but sorry it was under these circumstances. :(In many ways a dog can be the worst predator as it will kill all that it can instead of just stealing one like a coyote might. Good luck in re-establishing your flock. Are you seeking any restitution from the dog's owner?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to Backyard chickens. I am sorry to hear about your flock, I have had many a dog attack from either neighboring dogs, or my own a handful of times and they are never fun. :hugs I have found that Premier 1 poultry netting works well for providing a free range environment, in that you can move it around to fresh grass, but it is electric, so dogs do not dare go near it.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php

Good luck with your new flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by