membrame only

Thanks will have a read to night.whan I have more time..no membrain on poop tray today ,so heres hopeing.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Well today I got this

this one had a yoke in it and was in the nest box..so hopefully the next one will have a shell..
fl.gif

Well today I got this

this one had a yoke in it and was in the nest box..so hopefully the next one will have a shell..
fl.gif

Hi Ms-T,

Just thought I'd throw my two cents worth into the ring (for what it's worth!) I had a BO girl who consistently laid soft shelled eggs and no-shelled eggs, and she has come good after three months of poor egg quality.

I am curious as to what you feed your girls.

Firstly, are they on a properly formulated layer's pellet or crumble? That will provide an adequate supply of not just calcium (essential for shell formation) but also to ensure your girl's ongoing health, ability to fight infection and grow quality feathers as required.

Secondly, do you provide additional calcium in the form of oyster shell and grit in a separate container? Whilst the layer's formulas do provide a balanced diet, some birds will require additional calcium to that supplied in their feed.

Next, is their feed and grit/oyster shell available freely, 24 hours a day? Feed should not be limited and chickens will not generally overeat, but they should have free access to their feed at all times.

As far as treats go, what do you give them? Many people are quite heavy handed with the treats (wether that be vegies, household scraps, scratch, wheat etc) which fills the birds up, and thereby stops them from consuming adequate amounts of their layer's feed. Given the choice, all chickens will wait for treats and let their proper feed sit idly by, so I would limit treats to just a handful in the evening for the time being, to ensure they are consuming adequate amounts of proper feed during the day.

I read an article once that some foods can actually reduce/hinder the absorption of calcium in chickens. I am no expert in this field but this may also be something to consider. From memory, you might want to read up on spinach and grain/wheat. I believe that too much of either may not be favourable for calcium absorption.

Finally, have you considered a nutritional supplement or a calcium powder to add temporarily to their feed? I bought a calcium powder for my girl, and whilst I acknowledge that she shouldn't need it, it really made a difference to her egg shell quality. It took about 3 weeks and she was laying properly formed eggs. Again, as I said earlier, most birds don't need this help but some do require that little bit of extra support, if only for a short time to get them on the right track.

I do agree that young birds will often have issues with formation of a 'correct' shell and egg, but I also feel that with some extra help that period can be overcome a little earlier.

That's about it I think. Again, I'm no expert but it is something to consider that may help you get your girl on track.

Best wishes,

-Krista

Hi Krista
Thanks for you input...this hen has layed 169 perfect eggs in the past.. I feed fermented layer's pellets in the morning and for treats sprouted wheat and just pellets(shhh they think its a treat)
,yes they have oyster shell and grit in a separate container, today i put some over their feed just incase she was forgetting to top up..that sounds silly .
I will have a look for some calcium powder..got to try some thing.
thanks again
T

My girl was much the same. She had laid good eggs before too, then reverted back to soft shells etc. The calcium powder might help.

- Krista

PS: Very funny about the girls thinking layer's pellets are treats. Well done there!

hi ya
yesterday there was two membranes in with the poop on the poop tray.....
But today there was a lovely white egg in the neat box........heres hopeing that it is all over now all over .. thanks everone.
for the help you gived me...

Last edited:
Eternally frustrating, isn't it? I know the pain myself.

Here's hoping the calcium powder works for you. Is it one that is added to their feed or their water?

I think it took a good 3 weeks before I saw an improvement, but it was certainly worth it in the end.

The girl I had the problem with now lays a good egg 4 to 5 days a week.

Good luck!

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom