Memorial Day Holiday Weekend

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Opa, May 28, 2011.

1. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    My father was career Navy. We as a family tagged along behind following from port to port. He was on the flagship during the Cuban Missile Crisis and did many tours of the Mediterrean. My best story is when they mapped thru the polar ice cap/Canada- I even have the old camera he used for his pictures. I am immensely proud of my Dad and anyone else that decides to give their all so my children can run around my yard safely. Please give all the veterans in your life a heartfelt thank you from me and mine.

2. perolane

perolane Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    God bless those whom we have lost while serving their country & keep those safe who now serve ....without their sacrifices, we would not have the freedom to enjoy this site & many other things that we take for granted. [​IMG]

To the families of service men & women... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  3. zengrrl

zengrrl Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Agreed, my daddy was Army, my dh is Navy and my ds has been sworn into the Marines. I nearly have all my bases covered. Please remember to have a moment of silence among all the fun, bless our military, past, present and future.

4. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie In the Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Agreed, great post. Not enough truely appreciate this day for what it stands for. I come from a lineage of service men, and myself served in the Marine Corp. I have a buddy in the Army who just deployed to Afganihstan, he turns 21 in a few weeks, so add him into your memorial day thoughts please. He just got married to his high school sweetheart, and deserves to return home safely. Enjoy the weekend all, hope you have a great one.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have the same problem.

I go to two memorial day parades. One is huge and celebrates our military personnel. It is full of veterans, and celebrates the town's fallen heroes (cars with their names one the side to help people remember them) HUGE float for the town's gold star mothers.

I love it - but how do you say Happy Memorial Day????? It just sounds off.

6. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Songster

Apr 9, 2011
    My son went to the Class of 2011 Naval Academy Graduation in Annapolis on Friday to see his High School buddy graduate, my son is so proud he had the privilege of being his buddies 'first salute' as a fellow Marine.

Here is a link to his facebook entry w/pics.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/jeshua … 2626257902

My daughter is also in the Marine Corp...... she just came home from a 12 month deployment and is preparing for another 7 months come Dec/Jan and my son will be deploying in Oct. so come end of the year both of my children will be on foreign soil *sigh*

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:Thank you Opa. I was going to start a thread on this but luckily I saw yours.

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I have the same problem.

I go to two memorial day parades. One is huge and celebrates our military personnel. It is full of veterans, and celebrates the town's fallen heroes (cars with their names one the side to help people remember them) HUGE float for the town's gold star mothers.

I love it - but how do you say Happy Memorial Day????? It just sounds off.

I agree. How can you be happy about celebrating the deaths of those who gave their lives? It takes a different person than I am.​

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    ditto ! [​IMG]

10. ladyride

ladyride Songster

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I have had & still have many veterans & current service men in my family . They deserve my gratitude & humble thanks for all they do so we can be here doing whatever we do for honoring this holiday. My sincere thanks & prayers go with each & everyone, for their safety & return home. Freedom has always come with a price. Some have paid it all. Thanks opa for this thread. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: