1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Memphis Tn

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by birdlady79, Jan 30, 2014.

1. birdlady79

birdlady79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    Hi I'm a newbie and I live close to Memphis... I've never had chickens before but wanting to get 3 hens.. We live in the country so they will have room to roam.. I'm thinking I want Barred Plymouth Rocks... Problem is I'm having trouble finding any... I don't really want to buy on craigslist... Anybody have any suggestions on where to find some chicks?

2. NantanLupan

NantanLupan New Egg

Jan 11, 2013
    I live near Memphis, over in Mississippi. You might be able to find some local breeders, but you'll have to look on Craigslist. You're not going to get off cheap though, if you only want three chickens. Meyer Hatchery can do only three chicks, but I think it's about $39 or so for shipping/handling. Ideal Poultry I did last year, and I think I had to get at least $25 chicks, then plus shipping/handling but Ideal is cheaper for shipping/handling than Meyer Hatchery.

3. birdlady79

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    Thank you for the advise... I'll look those two up... One of the feed stores close to me said they could order too, so maybe I'll have some chicks by spring...

4. glysergt

glysergt New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    I live in Bartlett, TN and have been searching for Barred Rocks as well. Tractor Supply in Arlington has some. I would check those stores or any other local feed stores. Russell's in Collierville can order chicks as well.

5. birdlady79

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    Oh cool not to far from us.... I found a place in Jackson Tn who sells different varities.... I got my BR from them since I could get two different types at a time..... She's one of my favorites :)

6. oliviaandjosh4

oliviaandjosh4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    If you don't mind me asking, where at in Jackson? That's where I live & I am looking to buy some more chicks

7. birdlady79

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee

I bought mine at R&J feed .. I think they order from either Ideal or Cackle....

8. oliviaandjosh4

oliviaandjosh4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    Ok thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by