Men's work - generation differences

I am 65 yrs. old. I did not come to tool using until my 50's. Oh I wish I had known what I could do before. It is sooo much fun. I was inbetween the generational gap. My sons and daughter will do almost anything that is needed also their hb's and wives. I am glad to see them working together. My mother is appauled at what I do.
There is only one thing you need to remember, I did not do it, is not to lift to heavy an item by yourself as you age. The muscles are not what they use to be. 8 hrs worth of surgery and one yr lost to recovery taught me that. Now I do not lift heavy plywood treated sheets or 100 lb bags of anything alone. Also I have learned, albeit, with some resignation to use a bucket to partially empty the big bags before lifting. These are hard learned lessons. I am an indepent old lady,
lol.png
Who hates, really hates to ask for help. I love doing things alone. The peace and quiet is superb.
So while you are out there enjoying your younger muscles remember to work smart. Enjoy. Gloria Jean

My wife told me she would help build and paint the hen house, build the run and plant the garden. I'm still waiting.
lol.png

Quote:
Oh, how true this is.
sad.png
I am in my mid 50s, and have had back trouble since I was a teenager. My back is very unstable and sometimes just a weird step or leaning the wrong way can send me into spasms and leave me barely able to walk for days. I have always been relatively strong, and have worked hard. I helped my dad carry the logs to build our house when we moved to 40 acres of nothing but woods. I have always moved furniture and appliances by myself (usually several times at each session because I couldn't make up my mind where I wanted the furniture!). I carried the boxes of New Testaments when I worked with the Gideons Auxiliary, and the other women were either amazed or appalled, I'm not sure which
smile.png
. I've carried 80# bags of concrete when we were installing satellite systems. In short, if I could move it and wanted to, I did. Now I'm paying for it in a MAJOR way. I asked my chiropractor why I couldn't keep my bones where they belong, and she said, "you're now paying for what you did 20 years ago". Remember this: Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

You sound like my wife. I always enjoy working as a team on stuff like that. One of our favorite stories is when we were shingling a roof in November with a storm coming in fast. The wind knocked the ladder down and we were both stuck on the roof until we figured out how to lasso the ladder with the extension cord that the radio was plugged into. Good times.

Quote:
Huh. Those are all the qualifications of what my husband always weenies out of and makes ME do. "Oh, but you're so much better at it!"
tongue.png

Well he did clean one incredibly awful cloth diaper once that I was going to just throw out.

But, aside from that
tongue.png

Pat

Ok, confession, I may do quite a bit but my husband is still spider killer ( til my chicks grow up ) AND major gross cleaner upper. See we all have trade offs, I don't like puke as he learned with our second lab puppy who we didn't know couldn't handle free feeding like our first one did and ate until he busted! Let's just say I didn't feel we had been married long enough for my husband to see me dry heaving over dog yak, he laughed so hard, then cleaned it up. I do okay with the kids but believe me if he is home I play the "I don't do puke card.". My husband is great!

By the way, stubborn I am but I still go to the local (small town) feed mill and lumbar yard, here they always load my car for me without my having to ask. I never say no, I love the big box stores for selection but you cannot beat small store service. Also, if hubby is home my muscles don't seem to be as strong as when he is at work, I get help, but am smart about it, I think. Thanks for all the advice, I cannot wait to show off the new coop!

Back
Top Bottom