Men's work - generation differences

Ugh, I can totally relate. I come from a very conservative family, and they believe strongly in traditional gender roles. Luckily, my mom was the wild child in the bunch and has always encouraged me to do whatever I want.
I have a graduation coming up, and I'm trying to talk my family into getting me a miter saw as a present. My mom and I were recently at the hardware store, and I was showing her the one I wanted, and some guy there said I was wasting my time, that I should be looking for a husband instead!
th.gif
Um, thanks but no thanks. I've built fences, barns, and kitchen cabinets. I know my tools, and I don't need a man to own them for me.

Last edited:
Elmo where's a video? I know us gals want to see your hubby, vacuuming, mopping floors - we've probably never seen than before.

ALL the power tools are mine! My DH can use them, but prefers not to most of the time. Right now he's trying to a building breeding pen for some of his banties, but it's been sitting 10% done for weeks. I do almost all the major maintenance on our place that can be done by one person. In the 8 yrs we've had our property my DH has been on the tractor twice and one of those times was to back it down the driveway 10 ft.

When we were having our house built our contractor left his backhoe for me to use to do some landscaping and clear out some dead trees. The DH was tired of the guys razzing him so he decided to use the backhoe to level the spot for the greenhouse. He lasted about 5 minutes beofre he got off and handed me the keys.

My MIL lives across the country and disapproves of our country lifestyle. I was sending her pics of her son being proud and happy amongst his garden and chickens, then she asked me to stop sending pics of him muddy or with chckens. She was embarassed to show them to anyone. She hasn't gotten a pic of him since that request. His two loves are gardening and chickens so that's where he is when I take pictures. Sad for her.

i think it's more city folk are silly than just a generation difference. country people know, if there's work to be done, y'all all better get busy and get it done!

at our house, married 31 years, DW usually takes care of inside stuff, i usually take care of outside stuff. now, occasionally she'll come home from work, and i'll have dinner ready, if i was off that day, and sometimes she'll take the trash out! omg what would your MIL say????? and look at my page, you'll see pics of her helping, and her first time using the air powered framing nailer! she loves to help me, and i love to have her help! we are a good team, and that's what i'd tell your MIL, you're just a good team.

Im 56 never been married. Dad was an inventor designed tools and machines during the day and worked in a machine shop at night. Mom was the one who fixed things. I learned early on how to, wire a light switch, find a stud, operate a lathe, drill press, all types of saws.

I remember one time dad was home on the weekend sitting in his easy chair changing channels on TV. Mom had bought a second hand air conditioner and needed a hole cut in the wall to put it up. (an old hotel style wall AC weighed about 150 lbs). She had asked and he had said later just too many times. So while he was changing channels here comes the saws all through the wall. He looked up and changed channels again. When she was done cutting a 24 x 15 hole in the wall he changed channels one more time then got up and they both put the air conditioner up. He was a brilliant man his forte was just not anything to do with home up keep or improvement.

I also learned how not to muscle things. I buy 22 bales of hay from the valley because I can get it for half what it costs up here. The guys load it up for me and tie it down. Then one asks me "you got somone to unload it when you get home?" I ask him if he was volunteering. LOL. Hay bales here in Southern California weighs between 125 and 135 lbs. What I dont say is when I get home I have three pallets lined up to drive the truck over and a sturdy post by the pipe corral. I take the rope and tie the load of hay to the post and gently drive out from under neath. I can stack them three high without lifting a whole bale which is six per pallet.

I use clamps and nails to hold things up in position while fastening measure twice and cut once. And when I do construction projects I figure out how to modularize things. Do portions of an assembly somewhere flat and easy to work before moving into position.

Right now I am stumped on building a roof for my new coop. I cant climb a ladder any more so I want to figure out a way to do roof sections that I can make Identically and still lift up into position from underneath Clamp into position and screw together to form a reasonably waterproof roof. It doesnt have to be perfect only provide good shade and security. We get five to ten inches of rain per year.

Last edited:
Quote:
No way I'm advertising his identity! I don't want any of those younger gals trying to steal him away. He's a keeper, for sure.

My friend is an ambitious, hard working maintenance man. His wife has alway has the luxury of being a stay at home mom. what burns me is now that the kids are older, 5 and 8, he STILL has to do all the mowing, shoveling, outdoor work, repairs, and still helps with the kids and cooking, etc. and he even runs errands before heading home!
really burns me how lazy she appears to be. Why would you do that to a wonderful guy who lets you NOT work???? What happened to that marriage being a partnership? Why didn't I meet him before she did...that is the REAL question here!
If i had a guy let me stay home, you bet things would be done before he got home so he could have some guy time or time with me & kids... jealous rant over!

Back
Top Bottom