Mental Stimulation for Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pug Momma, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Pug Momma

Pug Momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Auburn, WA
    What should I put in my run/coop to keep my chickens mentally stimulated? I have a big run and a huge coop for just three hens ( i started small on numbers becuase they are my first - I want to see if I'm good at this, first!)
    What have people found that is good to help keep chickens, uh, busy...?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I would do a BYC "Search" on "chicken toys", or "toys for chickens', or "chick entertainment". This is a good question.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have 3 different outdoor roosts set up in our main run, which gives everyone plenty of preening and/or sunning space.

I've been adding dried leaves to this run to help keep the mud down since we're having our spring rains at this time. The other benefit is that I can throw in a handful or two of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and the birds spend countless amounts of time scratching up the seeds.

Another thing that I have in the run is a suet feeder. I have it hanging just a bit higher than they are tall so that they have to jump for whater treats I might put it in.

Hope this ideas are of some help!

Dawn

4. Pug Momma

Pug Momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Auburn, WA
    Oh, the suet feeder is a really good idea! I did see that people put different vegetables into suet feeders and let them peck at it all day. I have several roosts set up and just installed a window into the sunniest side of the coop and will put up a roost there for them to sit in the sun.
    Thanks!

5. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I set up 1 roost in the middle of the run. I used a cedar log held up by a 4 x 4 post about 2 feet off the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by