Mental Stimulation for Chickens

Pug Momma

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Auburn, WA
What should I put in my run/coop to keep my chickens mentally stimulated? I have a big run and a huge coop for just three hens ( i started small on numbers becuase they are my first - I want to see if I'm good at this, first!)
What have people found that is good to help keep chickens, uh, busy...?

I would do a BYC "Search" on "chicken toys", or "toys for chickens', or "chick entertainment". This is a good question.

Hi and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have 3 different outdoor roosts set up in our main run, which gives everyone plenty of preening and/or sunning space.

I've been adding dried leaves to this run to help keep the mud down since we're having our spring rains at this time. The other benefit is that I can throw in a handful or two of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and the birds spend countless amounts of time scratching up the seeds.

Another thing that I have in the run is a suet feeder. I have it hanging just a bit higher than they are tall so that they have to jump for whater treats I might put it in.

Hope this ideas are of some help!

Dawn

Oh, the suet feeder is a really good idea! I did see that people put different vegetables into suet feeders and let them peck at it all day. I have several roosts set up and just installed a window into the sunniest side of the coop and will put up a roost there for them to sit in the sun.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom