Mentally Preparing For Processing Meaties

we named our cornish casserole, fajita, potpie, and alfredo.

IT was hard to watch them go (husband did the dispatching) because they were sweet birds. Mostly because they're doofy and slow, but they do taste good.

People have asked me "how can you eat something you've raised from a chick?" But knowing how much commercial meat is handled, I feel more like "Ick! How can I eat something that I have no idea where it's been?"

I get a lot of pride & satisfaction from processing my own meat birds. It really adds to the enjoyment of the meal to know the chicken was healthy, was raised with care, ate a wholesome diet, had a pleasant existence, and was humanely butchered, experiencing kind words & gentle handling right up to the end.

It helps to look at your meat birds like produce you grow in the garden. You tend to their needs, especially carefully at the beginning, admire their growth and natural beauty, and look forward to many satisfying & sustaining meals from them.

The easiest way to mentally prepare yourself for butchering day is to realize that if you don't start killing them they are going to die on their own. Your choice is the dumpster or the freezer. I just now threw a nice plump roaster in the dumpster because I have had some family obligations and wasn't able to get around to killing it fast enough. I am going to process some tomorrow no matter what.

I hunt, trap, etc., eat wild game of all sorts. But the first chicken I ate that I killed (wasn't a broiler, but an extra roo with personality) I chewed and chewed and that meat was just a lump that was right hard to swallow. Now.. fast forward 2 years, and it dont bother me a bit. I made chicken and noodles one day with them, something I really like. And I ate a bite, and pushed the pictures out of my head, then ate another bite, and then another. By the time I was done with that meal, eating my own chickens didnt bother me anymore. This year for the first time I have broilers, they should be ready in three weeks or so. I enjoy eating my own chickens now. It's all in your head, so just try to push it away, and prepare the first few in recipes you love. The first one might be hard to eat, but it gets easier from there.

We butchered ours last week. And I roasted one last night. I had some time to separate myself from the actual butchering experience. When I pulled that chicken out of the fridge it just looked like any other "store" chicken. My kids had a hard time eating the dark meat. It is considerably darker than we are used to, but they liked the white meat. My youngest didn't want any of it, she is a real animal lover. So, it was a little difficult, but I do feel very proud of us for raising our own meat.

Good suggestions already given. They will die anyway (and soon) if you don't butcher them. They are treated much better than commercial birds. They do taste so much better. And they are definitely safer than commercially processed meat birds. There certainly is a sense of accomplishment with having raised and butchered your own meat. In the case of Cornish X after 6 or 8 weeks they certainly are just eating, pooping machines.

One additional suggestion...
You must stop attaching emotion to them. They're livestock...not pets. You needn't feel sorry for them. They've been raised for food, had a very good life - a much better experience than most food animals.

Next batch, I highly recommend that you stop petting them and treating them as pets. We treat our chickens and other animals well. I call them 'girlies', give them treats to enjoy, etc. The chickens will gather around my feet like little dogs. But they have their place... they are livestock.

Hope this is helpful.

I started out by differentiating them by calling them the cutlets. Remember, these birds are not bred to live longer than ten or twelve weeks. What you give good to them is given back when you eat them. I always thank the bird before we eat one. My laying hens, on the other hand will all die of old age, and be given a proper burial.

a stiff drink
lol.png

My first experience with meat chickens came back 3-4 yrs ago..I watched Amish neighbors butcher theirs..brutally..couldn't eat the one they gave..the next year I ordered a dozen had another neighbor raise and butcher them ( I supplied the bird and feed) we halved them..this was better but it took 9-10 weeks to feed out..the next year I raised and had neighbor butcher on 4ths..This year we raised my husband and son butchered and I stayed in the house..I washed, bagged and put in freezer..after eating the first of these we were so much better satisfied with the meat that we ordered more to arrive next week. I think it is probably a mental thing..knowing they were fed and butchered correctly that made this time best..along with the fact that I worked very hard to not socialize with them..I kept that to the layers and bantams..hope you are successful..sandi

Honestly - its NOT as bad as what you expect. dont get all worked up - think of it as a task... i very interesting one once you get going. and if you have a few tears - thats just fine. take your time and have everything prepared. you'll use more water than you think you'll need. read and re-read so you know what to expect. i especially like Harvey Ussary's pages at themoderhomestead.

dont buy into the hype when people who try and dissuade you with "oh those poor little chickies....how could you!?!" they dont know any better. seek out someone who knows and can mentor you if you have reservations.

we say a blessing for a full harvest and proceed with reverence and respect. trust that this is The Way Of Things and know that you are now part of it.

at the end of the day you'll be tired, your arms may hurt, but you'll go in knowing that everything is ok... and you'll say. geez that wasnt as bad as i thought.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom